What's the best language to start with if I want to eventually go i...

Hello. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am a complete beginner to programming, and need a little advice before getting started. I want to start with a language that's not next to impossible to learn for a beginner, but builds sound programming techniques and will give me an overall understanding of programming in general. I would like to eventually move into C++ programming, as I am told that this is the most powerful and flexible language around. Any advice or help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I started right with C++ and have had no problems picking up other languages.

• : Hello. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am a complete beginner to programming, and need a little advice before getting started. I want to start with a language that's not next to impossible to learn for a beginner, but builds sound programming techniques and will give me an overall understanding of programming in general. I would like to eventually move into C++ programming, as I am told that this is the most powerful and flexible language around. Any advice or help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Ah, if I were you, I'd start with C/C++. I can't think of any languages I'd recommend learning before C/C++. BASIC causes brain damage. No offense....

• : Hello. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am a complete beginner to programming, and need a little advice before getting started. I want to start with a language that's not next to impossible to learn for a beginner, but builds sound programming techniques and will give me an overall understanding of programming in general. I would like to eventually move into C++ programming, as I am told that this is the most powerful and flexible language around. Any advice or help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Begin learning C untill you're familiar with structures. Then, move up to C++ because all your basis of C can (sort of) be used in C++, and you can skip all the beginners stuff.

You'll see that C++ gave structures another name (classes) and added some features. From there, when you really understand the basics of classes and object oriented programming, you're on the run...

• if you want to take C/C++ classes from home, head on over to http://www.smartplanet.com. Ziff Davis University on the net merged with them. I'm taking classes through there. The first teacher is a moron, but the rest are pretty good and the books are great. you pay per class, buy the book (or download it free if you want), and head over to the messageboard to get your lessons for the week and ask questions. If you use them, take Intro to C first, then move on through the C++ classes.

PsychoBoy

psychoboy@dog.com

• You could try Pascal, because it has similar structure to c.

• Really, C++ isn't all that complicated. It has only a minimal

set of keywords and it is very easy to create a simple

programs. Its just when you get into object windows library (OWL), object linking

and embedding (OLE), and several other things where it gets difficult.

This is all you have to do to print hello world to the screen:

/* Hello World program, to see how C/C++ works */

/* Include standard input and output header file */

#include

/* main(), start of program */

main() {

/* print to screen or window */

printf("Hello, World!");

/* Exit program with no error */

return 0;

}

Text inside /* */ are comments and just documentate the

program.

If you're still looking for a programming language to learn,

I suggest perl. The resources for Perl on the internet are

abundant (the only programming language I have been able to teach

myself soley over the internet) and it is a very simple language

if you are experienced with the internet and HTML.

-Matt(AA)

: Hello. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am a complete beginner to programming, and need a little advice before getting started. I want to start with a language that's not next to impossible to learn for a beginner, but builds sound programming techniques and will give me an overall understanding of programming in general. I would like to eventually move into C++ programming, as I am told that this is the most powerful and flexible language around. Any advice or help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.