seperate controls - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

seperate controls

Hadji_13Hadji_13 Posts: 274Member
Hello world
I'm making a game in QBasic with two bats (rectangles), it's for two players. When one person is holding a key it stops the other person from moving, is there any way round this?
I've used SELECT CASE and an INKEY statments if that's any help.
Ta

Comments

• DymanicDymanic Posts: 63Member
    : Hello world
    : I'm making a game in QBasic with two bats (rectangles), it's for two players. When one person is holding a key it stops the other person from moving, is there any way round this?
    : I've used SELECT CASE and an INKEY statments if that's any help.
    : Ta
    :

• Hadji_13Hadji_13 Posts: 274Member
    : : Hello world
    : : I'm making a game in QBasic with two bats (rectangles), it's for two players. When one person is holding a key it stops the other person from moving, is there any way round this?
    : : I've used SELECT CASE and an INKEY statments if that's any help.
    : : Ta
    : :
    :
    :
    Can u expand on that?
    I don't know how to use ON KEY statments.

• DymanicDymanic Posts: 63Member
    ...it can solve certain problems.
    First, you have to tell QB (well, I use QB) that you want to use ON KEY:

KEY(0) on 'this activates the function keys
    Then you put:
    ON KEY(1) GOSUB FOOBAR 'for example - this is the F1 key.
    'KEY(2) is F2, etc.
    Now you have to write a GOSUB called FOOBAR (well, you don't actually HAVE to call it that) - you have to use GOSUB rather than a SUB or (heaven forbid) GOTO.

FOOBAR: '<-here's the GOSUB
    put whatever code you want here
    RETURN 'don't forget the return

You have to handle other keys individually - this is the nuisance part I mentioned. It's in HELP. There's no easier way than fiddling with it until you get how to do it.
    You can set up any key you want as a "user-defined" key, including multiple-keypresses (this is what will help most with your specific problem).
    The nice thing about ON KEY is that (unlike $INKEY), it acts like an interrupt, rather than having to poll the keyboard (that's what makes action jerky, etc., as the program has to wait till it encounters $INKEY statement - ON KEY will jump right out from anywhere).