Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

RAM consumption under windows

MarkMark Posts: 24Member
Hello,
I have written an application which needs a lot of RAM space (atleast 16MB) as there is a lot of I/0 and display features involved.
The program works fine in systems with 128MB of RAM but gives me a problem with lower memory systems.I used the norton utilities system doctor and found out that only 5 MB of Physical RAM is available when my system (32MB)starts.
Is there any way for me to clear the processes running by default on my system and put them temporarily on the swap file or maybe halt them until my program is running, the reason being that I can have more space for my program in the physical RAM.
Also please let me know some good resources for understandig the process and memory management under windows.
I use the core WIN32 API to program and if you could also tell me a few API's which will come to my help it will be great for me,
Thanks and regards
Mark

Comments

• SunlightSunlight Posts: 186Member
    : Is there any way for me to clear the processes running by default on my system and put them temporarily on the swap file or maybe halt them until my program is running, the reason being that I can have more space for my program in the physical RAM.

No.

On Windows NT/2000, if you want to ask the system for fixed memory, look at the VirtualXxxx functions (VirtualAlloc, VirtualLock, etc.). This allows you to allocate memory and lock it into physical memory. I'm not aware of any way to do this under Windows 9x, though you may have some luck with the same method.
    --
    [italic][blue]Sunlight[/blue][/italic]

• MarkMark Posts: 24Member
    Thanks Sir,
    I will try those functions and see if it is possible to get my work done. Is there some API which tells us the Process Id's of all the proceses running in the systsem,I jusy want to know the process Id of the proceses running on my system.
    Please lemme know
    Thanks and regards

• adrianxwadrianxw Posts: 127Member
    : Thanks Sir,
    : I will try those functions and see if it is possible to get my work done. Is there some API which tells us the Process Id's of all the proceses running in the systsem,I jusy want to know the process Id of the proceses running on my system.
    : Please lemme know
    : Thanks and regards
    :

Look up the EnumProcesses() API function.

Med venlig hilsen,

Adrian...