Terminate an application - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Terminate an application

What is the best way to terminate an application? I usually just call exit(0); from within my view-class, but sometimes that generates an error message. Suggestions?

Comments

• weiccoweicco Posts: 950Member
    : What is the best way to terminate an application? I usually just call exit(0); from within my view-class, but sometimes that generates an error message. Suggestions?
    :
    :
    :

Hmm... I have used exit(1); and haven't got a single error. What does that number in exit argument mean? Has this something to do with this prob?

• parbyparby Posts: 4Member
    : : What is the best way to terminate an application? I usually just call exit(0); from within my view-class, but sometimes that generates an error message. Suggestions?
    : :
    :
    : Hmm... I have used exit(1); and haven't got a single error. What does that number in exit argument mean? Has this something to do with this prob?
    :

I don't think so. You should use exit(0); since that indicates EXIT_SUCCESS. exit(1) indicates EXIT_FAILURE.

I think my problem is that i don't clean up after my application. I have an App-Wizard-generated SDI-application and when I call exit(0); there is an error message that says that a pagefault has occured in MFC42.dll. I have tried using static linking and the problem seems to go away, but that's not a good solution since my programsize increases almost 4 times with static linking. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

• ColdShineColdShine Posts: 597Member
    Simply stop using the exit() function. It does work well for console programs, not for GUI ones. I don't use the MFC, but there will surely be a function (maybe named something like "AfxExit", "AfxExitProgram") which correctly ends the program.
    ________
    [size=1][b][grey]Cold[/grey][blue]Shine[/blue][/b][/size]

• Sephiroth2Sephiroth2 Posts: 423Member
    : : : What is the best way to terminate an application? I usually just call exit(0); from within my view-class, but sometimes that generates an error message. Suggestions?
    : : :
    : : Hmm... I have used exit(1); and haven't got a single error. What does that number in exit argument mean? Has this something to do with this prob?
    :
    : I don't think so. You should use exit(0); since that indicates EXIT_SUCCESS. exit(1) indicates EXIT_FAILURE.
    :
    : I think my problem is that i don't clean up after my application. I have an App-Wizard-generated SDI-application and when I call exit(0); there is an error message that says that a pagefault has occured in MFC42.dll. I have tried using static linking and the problem seems to go away, but that's not a good solution since my programsize increases almost 4 times with static linking. Has anyone experienced similar problems?
    :
    :
    Use PostQuitMessage(0) instead, or close the main window of the MFC application.

• pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    one way to do it is

AfxGetMainWnd()->SendMessage(WM_CLOSE, 0, 0);

: Simply stop using the exit() function. It does work well for console programs, not for GUI ones. I don't use the MFC, but there will surely be a function (maybe named something like "AfxExit", "AfxExitProgram") which correctly ends the program.
    : ________
    : [size=1][b][grey]Cold[/grey][blue]Shine[/blue][/b][/size]
    :
    :

• pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    or PostMessage.. logically better i suppose

: one way to do it is
    :
    : AfxGetMainWnd()->SendMessage(WM_CLOSE, 0, 0);
    :
    : : Simply stop using the exit() function. It does work well for console programs, not for GUI ones. I don't use the MFC, but there will surely be a function (maybe named something like "AfxExit", "AfxExitProgram") which correctly ends the program.
    : : ________
    : : [size=1][b][grey]Cold[/grey][blue]Shine[/blue][/b][/size]
    :
    :
    :
    :