Looking for a tutorial - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Looking for a tutorial

I'm looking for a good tutorial on windows programming in C. I've been programming in dos for several years. I feel I have enough experiance to start in windows. I prefer C over C++, but I can handle either.

Comments

• SunlightSunlight Posts: 186Member
    : I'm looking for a good tutorial on windows programming in C.

http://sunlightd.virtualave.net/Windows/FAQ.html#Tutorials
    --
    [italic][blue]Sunlight[/blue][/italic]

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    Thanks

I started that tut and the second program gave me a linktime error. The Console program compiled just fine with Borland 5.5, but it was the GUI program that I can't link. I tried several things, but kept getting the same error.

This code is straight out of the tut;

[code]
    #include

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
    {
    MessageBox(NULL, "Hello world!", "Sample", MB_OK);
    return 0;
    }
    [/code]
    Here's the output from the compiler:
    [code]
    Borland C++ 5.5 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland
    msgbox2.c:
    Turbo Incremental Link 5.00 Copyright (c) 1997, 2000 Borland
    Error: Unresolved external '_main' referenced from C:BORLANDBCC55LIBC0X32.OBJ
    [/code]

Am I using the wrong compiler? Or am I just doing something wrong?

• weiccoweicco Posts: 950Member
    I get the same error on M$ Visual C++ for reason I don't understand. If I start a new empty project and make a new c++ source file in it and try to compile it I get that error. But if I don't make new project, instead I just make new source file and compile that everything works ok.

Or even better I use Linux + gcc and get rid of all those stupid errors and warnings :)

• ColdShineColdShine Posts: 597Member
    When linking, add the user32.lib to import MessageBox().
    ________
    [size=1][b][grey]Cold[/grey][blue]Shine[/blue][/b][/size]

• SunlightSunlight Posts: 186Member
    : I started that tut and the second program gave me a linktime error. The Console program compiled just fine with Borland 5.5, but it was the GUI program that I can't link. I tried several things, but kept getting the same error.

Congratulations. You have just found a bug in that version f the tutorial, now corrected. Thanks.

: Error: Unresolved external '_main' referenced from C:BORLANDBCC55LIBC0X32.OBJ

http://sunlightd.virtualave.net/Windows/FAQ.html#UnresolvedMain
    --
    [italic][blue]Sunlight[/blue][/italic]

Thanks, It works now!

I feel stupid.