Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

message count (updated daily????)

is there any reason this is updated daily, and not just instantly?

[italic][blue]-- Spida.[/blue][/italic]

Comments

• WEBMASTERWEBMASTER Posts: 549Member
    The reason that it is only updated daily is that I want to reduce the load on the database/server. Its all about performance.

All message reads are stored in a log file and these logfiles are processed once a day to update the number of reads. Doing it this way is much faster than using a 100% database solution.

/WEBMASTER
    [blue][italic][b]/WEBMASTER[/b][/italic][/blue]

• SpidaSpida Posts: 38Member
    : The reason that it is only updated daily is that I want to reduce the load on the database/server. Its all about performance.
    :
    : All message reads are stored in a log file and these logfiles are processed once a day to update the number of reads. Doing it this way is much faster than using a 100% database solution.
    :
    : /WEBMASTER
    : [blue][italic][b]/WEBMASTER[/b][/italic][/blue]
    :
    :

Wouldn't the server use the same amount of load to do it this way (unless your using precompiled html pages)? The server has to log the count (or add to the counter), and also read the log value recorded yesterday everytime the message is opened.

I was just wondering, it doesnt bother me at all though :-)

[italic][blue]-- Spida.[/blue][/italic]

• WEBMASTERWEBMASTER Posts: 549Member
    The CPU resources needed to update a database is much larger than just appending to a simple text-file.

Also, another reason why I want to minimize the database accesses , is that if a WEB-spider/offline reader tries to view/download the messages , then the database might overload, so I have to make a trade-off between performance and usability.

But, when the .NET platform is released, its much easier to make the counters in realtime due to its data-cache objects/functions.

So, I am awaiting .NET .....

[blue][italic][b]/WEBMASTER[/b][/italic][/blue]