Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Am I elligible for employment?

Dr. COM WIZDr. COM WIZ Posts: 74Member
Hello again, world! This is Dr. COM WIZ. I've been waiting for this moment for so many years. I finally turned 13 when I wasn't even looking! I turned 13 in November, but I recently realized that I am elligible for a summer job! I don't see myself flipping burgers or mopping the floor for a living. I really, really want to be a professional QBasic programmer for atleast a small company that needs to be launched. If I have to learn C to be a real programmer, then I'll continue. Whatever it takes, as long as noone is heart, to have this kind of job, I'll do it!
BENEFITS
1. I'll taste what it feels like to work for a real company. This way, I won't be a complete dummy when it's time to get areal job. Besides, aren't the big companies looking for EXPERIENCED people?
2. My comany, COM WIZ Productions, will probrably get some popularity. We are a very, very small company with 3 members (programmer, 2 testers). We need something that will give people a reason to purchase our games in high school.

This has been,
Dr. COM WIZ
P.S. Thank you and goodnight!

Comments

• deldel Posts: 51Member
    Umm, sorry to put your hopes down, but I don't think there is such a thing as a professional QBASIC programmer - have you tried looking for one in the employment section of the newspaper? I doubt there'd be many companies that would actually pay you to program in QBASIC. Nowadays, if you want to pursue a career in programming you need to learn modern languages such as Java, C++, Perl, etc.

• kissmyasmkissmyasm Posts: 38Member
    : Umm, sorry to put your hopes down, but I don't think there is such a thing as a professional QBASIC programmer - have you tried looking for one in the employment section of the newspaper? I doubt there'd be many companies that would actually pay you to program in QBASIC. Nowadays, if you want to pursue a career in programming you need to learn modern languages such as Java, C++, Perl, etc.
    :

you dont need to know modern langs. i doubt anyone would consider cobol modern. yet it is still used by many.

as for professional qbasic programming... if you do a consulting type thing then you could probably get away with it. i have, only once though.

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    I didn't want to dash your hopes, but I'm afraid these guys are right. Not only is it hard to make money with QBASIC, I don't know of any professional programmer who's 13 years old. I'm not saying there aren't, I just don't know any.

You still have alot of time ahead of you. I suggest taking computer science courses in H.S. (If your school has them. Mine didn't.) Then on to college. I don't have a degree, but having one will sure help you in landing a programming job. I've lost many an chance because I don't have a degree.

As far as flipping burgers, we all have to start somewhere. For me, it was washing dishes.

Don't let us get you down. You are doing fine, it'll just take some time. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. You have plenty of time.

• Dr. COM WIZDr. COM WIZ Posts: 74Member
    : I didn't want to dash your hopes, but I'm afraid these guys are right. Not only is it hard to make money with QBASIC, I don't know of any professional programmer who's 13 years old. I'm not saying there aren't, I just don't know any.
    :
    : You still have alot of time ahead of you. I suggest taking computer science courses in H.S. (If your school has them. Mine didn't.) Then on to college. I don't have a degree, but having one will sure help you in landing a programming job. I've lost many an chance because I don't have a degree.
    :
    : As far as flipping burgers, we all have to start somewhere. For me, it was washing dishes.
    :
    : Don't let us get you down. You are doing fine, it'll just take some time. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. You have plenty of time.
    :
    : I'm not discouraged. It's just that my school's system is so cheap, so simple, so...so...so CHEAP AND SIMPLE! They offer no programs at all for students to gain internships or help students to reach their future career goals. I wish I didn't live in he city I do. It's so...so...so BORING!
    Thanks anyway, :)
    Dr. COM WIZ

PS: By the way, I [itlaic] AM [/tialic] learning C and Assembler. By the summer, I'll be a trilingual programmer. Wait: I know English, French, Creole, a little Spanish and a tiny bit of Japenese. So, I'll be octalingual! (I made that word up :) )

: : I didn't want to dash your hopes, but I'm afraid these guys are right. Not only is it hard to make money with QBASIC, I don't know of any professional programmer who's 13 years old. I'm not saying there aren't, I just don't know any.
    : :
    : : You still have alot of time ahead of you. I suggest taking computer science courses in H.S. (If your school has them. Mine didn't.) Then on to college. I don't have a degree, but having one will sure help you in landing a programming job. I've lost many an chance because I don't have a degree.
    : : As far as flipping burgers, we all have to start somewhere. For me, it was washing dishes.
    : : Don't let us get you down. You are doing fine, it'll just take some time. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. You have plenty of time.
    : : Note: I messed up alot in my previous message. This is the 2nd edtion.

I'm not discouraged. It's just that my school's system is so cheap, so simple, so...so...so CHEAP AND SIMPLE! They offer no programs at all for students to gain internships or help students to reach their future career goals. I wish I didn't live in he city I do. It's so...so...so BORING!
    : Thanks anyway, :-)
    : Dr. COM WIZ
    :
    : PS: By the way, I [italic] AM [/italic] learning C and Assembler. By the summer, I'll be a trilingual programmer. Wait: I know English, French, Creole, a little Spanish and a tiny bit of Japenese. So, I'll be octalingual! (I made that word up :-) )
    :
    :
    :

• deldel Posts: 51Member
    : you dont need to know modern langs. i doubt anyone would consider cobol modern. yet it is still used by many.
    :
    : as for professional qbasic programming... if you do a consulting type thing then you could probably get away with it. i have, only once though.
    :

I guess it depends what you're programming. For example, you can use QBASIC to do CGI on websites, and theres definitely lots of money in making websites. Generally speaking though, there isn't much of a demand for QBASIC programmers in the IT industry.

• kissmyasmkissmyasm Posts: 38Member
    : : PS: By the way, I [italic] AM [/italic] learning C and Assembler.

damn boy, from basic to assembly? thats a pretty big step. ya might wanna get a good grasp on c before starting asm. although asm is much more fun. especially when yer writing ten pages of crap that do invisible calculations. either way... hell yeah! expand those horizons... ...and all that inspirational crap. good luck, have some fun, and we're (at least i am) here to support.

: : : PS: By the way, I [italic] AM [/italic] learning C and Assembler.
    :
    : damn boy, from basic to assembly? thats a pretty big step. ya might wanna get a good grasp on c before starting asm. although asm is much more fun. especially when yer writing ten pages of crap that do invisible calculations. either way... hell yeah! expand those horizons... ...and all that inspirational crap. good luck, have some fun, and we're (at least i am) here to support.
    : Don't worry, I KNOW I can do it. Even though I have only been programming for about 8 months, I am far from a beginner. I am a very good computer guy, so I really don't think learning "the hardest language" will be so dificult.

Speaking of languages, what makes the difference between a low-level language and a high-level language? Is it it's user-friendlyness or it's dominance and control over Mr. Computer?

"C is not a high level language like BASIC or Pascal."
    -The Complete Refernce to C

Yet, some are telling me that C is high-level and BASIC is not! I am confused.

--Dr. COM WIZ

: : : PS: By the way, I [italic] AM [/italic] learning C and Assembler.
    :
    : damn boy, from basic to assembly? thats a pretty big step. ya might wanna get a good grasp on c before starting asm. although asm is much more fun. especially when yer writing ten pages of crap that do invisible calculations. either way... hell yeah! expand those horizons... ...and all that inspirational crap. good luck, have some fun, and we're (at least i am) here to support.
    : Don't worry, I KNOW I can do it. Even though I have only been programming for about 8 months, I am far from a beginner. I am a very good computer guy, so I really don't think learning "the hardest language" will be so dificult.

Speaking of languages, what makes the difference between a low-level language and a high-level language? Is it it's user-friendlyness or it's dominance and control over Mr. Computer?

"C is not a high level language like BASIC or Pascal."
    -The Complete Refernce to C

Yet, some are telling me that C is high-level and BASIC is not! I am confused.

--Dr. COM WIZ

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    I don't consider C as low-level exactly. I end up arguing with these die-hard C guys over whether BASIC is lower level. I consider both C and QuickBASIC as high-level procedural languages. The old syle of interpreted BASIC is more of a "scripting" language.

Ok! The difference between High and Low. Low level languages work on the CPU level. Like directly manipulating the registers, and interupts. Assembler is low-level. Machine Language is low-level.

High-level languages give the low-level instructions more understandable names like PRINT or IF.

Well my explanation is simplified, but thats basically it.

Hey if your learning C, I suggest TURBO C. It's IDE reminds me of QB, but the IDE doesn't support mouse. The EXE it makes are pretty small and real fast. You can get TC on programmers heaven.