Pascal Run Time Error 103: cannot - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Pascal Run Time Error 103: cannot

- TP 6.0 Program generates the Error 103 (FIle not Open)
- Error 103 generated after a simple 'WRITELN;' statement which is supposed to put an empty line on the screen. This occurs right after the start of the program.

- error occurs only on: i) old 286 IBM AT and ii) Pentium I (90 MHz) computer
- earlier versions of same program ran smoothly

- the error does not occur on my Pentium-II 350 MHz computer on which the programming is done

Comments

• : - TP 6.0 Program generates the Error 103 (FIle not Open)
    : - Error 103 generated after a simple 'WRITELN;' statement which is supposed to put an empty line on the screen. This occurs right after the start of the program.
    :
    :
    : - error occurs only on: i) old 286 IBM AT and ii) Pentium I (90 MHz) computer
    : - earlier versions of same program ran smoothly
    :
    : - the error does not occur on my Pentium-II 350 MHz computer on which the programming is done

as best i know, the error "file not open" is only when you do something like: [code]
    write(f,'....');

[/code]
    where f is a var of any file type, or specifically [italic]writeln()[/italic] for text, and you didn't [italic]append()[/italic] or [italic]rewrite()[/italic] the file.. or if you already [italic]close()[/italic]ed the file..

but that will happen on all computers, and all tp/other compiler versions which support file i/o (which should be all) (if it does not support that, it won't recognize the code..)

try finding TP7 is basically what i'd suggest.. i don't have a 286 or a p1/90 and i dont' have problems on my p3/450..

//Noam

• : : - TP 6.0 Program generates the Error 103 (FIle not Open)
    : : - Error 103 generated after a simple 'WRITELN;' statement which is supposed to put an empty line on the screen. This occurs right after the start of the program.
    : :
    : : - error occurs only on: i) old 286 IBM AT and ii) Pentium I (90 MHz) computer
    : : - earlier versions of same program ran smoothly
    : : - the error does not occur on my Pentium-II 350 MHz computer on which the programming is done
    :
    : as best i know, the error "file not open" is only when you do something like: [code]
    : write(f,'....');
    :
    : [/code]
    : where f is a var of any file type, or specifically [italic]writeln()[/italic] for text, and you didn't [italic]append()[/italic] or [italic]rewrite()[/italic] the file.. or if you already [italic]close()[/italic]ed the file..
    :
    : but that will happen on all computers, and all tp/other compiler versions which support file i/o (which should be all) (if it does not support that, it won't recognize the code..)
    :
    : try finding TP7 is basically what i'd suggest.. i don't have a 286 or a p1/90 and i dont' have problems on my p3/450..
    :
    : //Noam
    :

There is away of handling this....

I had just recently had to do this re opening a file...

Like write('Enter file name :);
    readln(filename);

{I+} {Note this is used, it overrides the dos error interruption program}

assgin(f,{the location of file ie c:tpin));
    reset(f);

{I-} {Restores dos error handling}

if {I am not sure of the name here} errorresult then
    writeln('File not found.');
    else
    writeln('File found.');

The above errorresult returns a value and U then have contorl of what is happening.

I shall go home and check this variable name and report it back to you..

Michael

• : : : - TP 6.0 Program generates the Error 103 (FIle not Open)
    : : : - Error 103 generated after a simple 'WRITELN;' statement which is supposed to put an empty line on the screen. This occurs right after the start of the program.
    : : :
    : : : - error occurs only on: i) old 286 IBM AT and ii) Pentium I (90 MHz) computer
    : : : - earlier versions of same program ran smoothly
    : : : - the error does not occur on my Pentium-II 350 MHz computer on which the programming is done
    : : as best i know, the error "file not open" is only when you do something like: [code]
    : : write(f,'....');
    : : [/code]
    : : where f is a var of any file type, or specifically [italic]writeln()[/italic] for text, and you didn't [italic]append()[/italic] or [italic]rewrite()[/italic] the file.. or if you already [italic]close()[/italic]ed the file..
    : : but that will happen on all computers, and all tp/other compiler versions which support file i/o (which should be all) (if it does not support that, it won't recognize the code..)
    : : try finding TP7 is basically what i'd suggest.. i don't have a 286 or a p1/90 and i dont' have problems on my p3/450..
    : : //Noam
    :
    : There is away of handling this....
    :
    : I had just recently had to do this re opening a file...
    :
    : Like write('Enter file name :);
    : readln(filename);
    :
    : {I+} {Note this is used, it overrides the dos error interruption program}
    :
    : assgin(f,{the location of file ie c:tpin));
    : reset(f);
    :
    : {I-} {Restores dos error handling}
    :
    : if {I am not sure of the name here} errorresult then
    : writeln('File not found.');
    : else
    : writeln('File found.');
    :
    : The above errorresult returns a value and U then have contorl of what is happening.
    :
    : I shall go home and check this variable name and report it back to you..
    :
    : Michael
    :
    :
    I am at home checked the program

if IORESULT= 0 then the file doesn't exsist

and I have {I+} and {I-} in the wrong order

sorry as I am at the libary without my own computer when doing the above
    My memory isn't as good.

Michael

• Just a thought, are either of the AT or p90 machines short of free
    file handles (config.sys files=) ?
    Could there have been any changes in device drivers/tsr's since
    the program last ran ok?
    Have you changed to a different version of TP?

Just another thought.. Do most people find it beneficial to have all
    prior message trails included in the next response?