Perl yes/no? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Perl yes/no?

I am a beginner programmer and I know some C and C++ and a lot of truebasic, i want to be a proffesional programmer. I have only heard of PERL once or twice. What is it like and is it worth learning? if so, where can i find a good book for it?thanx in advance
a beginner

Comments

• Perl is a scripting language - a very important one from unix point of view. Its syntax is very similar to c

Best books for perl :-
    Programming Perl - by Tom Christansien and Larry Wall.
    Perl cookbook.
    (Both are a must).

Its worth learning it.

: I am a beginner programmer and I know some C and C++ and a lot of truebasic, i want to be a proffesional programmer. I have only heard of PERL once or twice. What is it like and is it worth learning? if so, where can i find a good book for it?thanx in advance
    : a beginner
    :

• Perl is a definite "YES". It is one of the more powerful scripting languages I have ever come across, and it is still seemingly the web-standard for server-side scripting.

If you are familiar with C and C++, learning Perl ought to be a breeze. However, I don't really recommend dropping the money on a book. What I have found through time is that all the information I have ever wanted to look up has been readily available online.

Here are a few good websites about Perl/related modules to start with:

http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/perl/perltut/start.htm (Perl tutorial)
    http://www.engelschall.com/ar/perldoc/ (Perl module docs)
    http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/cgi_docs.html (CGI.pm doc)

Hope you enjoy you language!

: I am a beginner programmer and I know some C and C++ and a lot of truebasic, i want to be a proffesional programmer. I have only heard of PERL once or twice. What is it like and is it worth learning? if so, where can i find a good book for it?thanx in advance
    : a beginner
    :

• I would suggest not the O'Reilly Books which suck, but Beginning Perl put out by Wrox. Books put out by the person that invented the language are not the best to learn from.

• DrGonzoDrGonzo Posts: 41Member
    Yeah I agree, that book has proved to be a handy little reference.....if it's the one i'm thinking of it has a nice chapter 8 which has all the built in PERL functions listed and described and a handy index in the back with all the error codes and various other good chunks of data for reading.
  • XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : Yeah I agree, that book has proved to be a handy little reference.....if it's the one i'm thinking of it has a nice chapter 8 which has all the built in PERL functions listed and described and a handy index in the back with all the error codes and various other good chunks of data for reading.
    :

Wow, you must be really bored to post a message to a topic over a year old. Everyone's help is always appreciated no matter when it's posted so I hope you don't take this the wrong way.
  • BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : : Yeah I agree, that book has proved to be a handy little reference.....if it's the one i'm thinking of it has a nice chapter 8 which has all the built in PERL functions listed and described and a handy index in the back with all the error codes and various other good chunks of data for reading.
    : :
    :
    : Wow, you must be really bored to post a message to a topic over a year old. Everyone's help is always appreciated no matter when it's posted so I hope you don't take this the wrong way.
    :
    Someone on the C/C++ board replied to a post that was 2.5 years old. That's a busy board, a two year post would like be on page 200. Amazing!

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : : : Yeah I agree, that book has proved to be a handy little reference.....if it's the one i'm thinking of it has a nice chapter 8 which has all the built in PERL functions listed and described and a handy index in the back with all the error codes and various other good chunks of data for reading.
    : : :
    : : Wow, you must be really bored to post a message to a topic over a year old. Everyone's help is always appreciated no matter when it's posted so I hope you don't take this the wrong way.
    : Someone on the C/C++ board replied to a post that was 2.5 years old. That's a busy board, a two year post would like be on page 200. Amazing!
    :
    :
    Some really dedicated people on here. That's good I guess.