Logging IP addresses - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Logging IP addresses

Helooooooo everybody. I am having some problems with a few people. They go on my website and fill up my guest book with complete S***. I want to log the IP addresses of all the people who visit my site from now on so that I could report it.
Assume that there is a text file called "log.txt" in my web directory, how could I write append the ip addresses to the file.

Otherwise just tell me how can I atleast show and scare the visitor their IP address. I would prefer HTML please.

Thanks a looooooooooooooooooooot.

Comments

• Unfortunatelly, there's no html for getting ips. You would have to use perl/cgi. The code would be:

#!/usr/bin/perl

#Open file for writing
    open (WRITEFILE,">>log.dat");
    #Write the new value into counter.dat
    $IP=$ENV{REMOTE_ADDR};
    print WRITEFILE "$IP";
    close (WRITEFILE);

#close the file

Hope this works ;)
    fabs -> www.ypronline.com

: Helooooooo everybody. I am having some problems with a few people. They go on my website and fill up my guest book with complete S***. I want to log the IP addresses of all the people who visit my site from now on so that I could report it.
    : Assume that there is a text file called "log.txt" in my web directory, how could I write append the ip addresses to the file.
    :
    : Otherwise just tell me how can I atleast show and scare the visitor their IP address. I would prefer HTML please.
    :
    : Thanks a looooooooooooooooooooot.
    :

• Hi fabs and thanks for your help. Is cgi supported by Internet Explorer? I am using Front Page and it does not seem to be working. It just displays the code on the page and does not actually do anything. Please help.
    Thanks

• : Hi fabs and thanks for your help. Is cgi supported by Internet Explorer? I am using Front Page and it does not seem to be working. It just displays the code on the page and does not actually do anything. Please help.
    : Thanks
    :

A cgi-script is run on the server, there it read files, stores data, etc..., and then the output (html-code mostly) is send to your computer, and IE. The reason that it doesn't work is that you can't just open it, you need a server program, you can download many (small) programs for free, that act as a local server and can execute cgi-scripts.

www.apache.org
    www.xitami.com

and many more on www.tucows.com

I myself use Xitami, and it works pretty good :-)