A question of sound - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

A question of sound

is there anyone who know how's to get a hold of the master sound mixer under windows? i need to be able to read sound that is coming in such as from a microphone. i don't need to save it in a file, i need to stream it and analyze it on the fly. any ideas?

Comments

• : is there anyone who know how's to get a hold of the master sound mixer under windows? i need to be able to read sound that is coming in such as from a microphone. i don't need to save it in a file, i need to stream it and analyze it on the fly. any ideas?

Use DirectSoundCapture.
    --
    Sunlight

• i know how to do it under directX but i am trying to do it using only the win32 services. i want this thing to run on NT and 9x.
    thanks anyway.

-Lando

• : i know how to do it under directX but i am trying to do it using only the win32 services. i want this thing to run on NT and 9x.

Why NT 4? It's not as if we haven't had Win2k for a year now. DirectSoundCapture is available on all versions of 9x and on 2000, and is available as an unsupported add-on for NT4, too.

Anyway, the other way is to use the low-level multimedia I/O services. Look up waveInOpen and go from there.
    --
    Sunlight

• thanks :) so i guess i was on the right track. just one more question...what exactly are the mixerOpen, mixerClose and mixer* all about?

-Lando

• : thanks :) so i guess i was on the right track. just one more question...what exactly are the mixerOpen, mixerClose and mixer* all about?

They are for the mixer devices, used for selecting record inputs, record levels, playback levels, pan, et cetera. The Volume Control applet basically exposes all the mixer functionality.
    --
    Sunlight

• ultimageultimage Posts: 119Member
    : : thanks :) so i guess i was on the right track. just one more question...what exactly are the mixerOpen, mixerClose and mixer* all about?
    :
    : They are for the mixer devices, used for selecting record inputs, record levels, playback levels, pan, et cetera. The Volume Control applet basically exposes all the mixer functionality.
    : --
    : Sunlight
    :
    ok, how do i mute the microphone using these mixer commands