Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

A question of sound

is there anyone who know how's to get a hold of the master sound mixer under windows? i need to be able to read sound that is coming in such as from a microphone. i don't need to save it in a file, i need to stream it and analyze it on the fly. any ideas?

Comments

• : is there anyone who know how's to get a hold of the master sound mixer under windows? i need to be able to read sound that is coming in such as from a microphone. i don't need to save it in a file, i need to stream it and analyze it on the fly. any ideas?

Use DirectSoundCapture.
    --
    Sunlight

• i know how to do it under directX but i am trying to do it using only the win32 services. i want this thing to run on NT and 9x.
    thanks anyway.

-Lando

• : i know how to do it under directX but i am trying to do it using only the win32 services. i want this thing to run on NT and 9x.

Why NT 4? It's not as if we haven't had Win2k for a year now. DirectSoundCapture is available on all versions of 9x and on 2000, and is available as an unsupported add-on for NT4, too.

Anyway, the other way is to use the low-level multimedia I/O services. Look up waveInOpen and go from there.
    --
    Sunlight

• thanks :) so i guess i was on the right track. just one more question...what exactly are the mixerOpen, mixerClose and mixer* all about?

-Lando

• : thanks :) so i guess i was on the right track. just one more question...what exactly are the mixerOpen, mixerClose and mixer* all about?

They are for the mixer devices, used for selecting record inputs, record levels, playback levels, pan, et cetera. The Volume Control applet basically exposes all the mixer functionality.
    --
    Sunlight

• ultimageultimage Posts: 119Member
    : : thanks :) so i guess i was on the right track. just one more question...what exactly are the mixerOpen, mixerClose and mixer* all about?
    :
    : They are for the mixer devices, used for selecting record inputs, record levels, playback levels, pan, et cetera. The Volume Control applet basically exposes all the mixer functionality.
    : --
    : Sunlight
    :
    ok, how do i mute the microphone using these mixer commands