Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Laura Craft-3d-engine!

Aye, Ive decided to start working on this type of engine. I guess there's no point for you telling me how to make it, but what will I need? MVC++ 6.0 & DirctX 8.0 SMK......or?

Comments

• SymbiotedSymbioted Posts: 11Member
    Depends on what you want to do exactly.

software based, D3D, OGL or Glide based (I know, glide is dead).

DirectX SDK + VC++, some good frineds and some good books will do it. Don't do this alone if it's your first engine, you'll find this long, very long, except if you're a guru.

Cheers,
    Eddie

• AriseArise Posts: 42Member
    use directx 7.0 or even 6.0 ( it's much more easy )
    i sugest dx7 , but if u are a guru then ...
    msv6 should be a good choise
    good luck and tell us about your progress .

• overdoseoverdose Posts: 3Member
    well, I have coded alot of 2d-engines and stuff, but never 3d. I have no clue about where to start....anybody know? I have downloaded dx8, I dont have MVC right know...
    Ive worked alot in c++ but not for windows, ofcourse this is where I should start...but after that?

• SymbiotedSymbioted Posts: 11Member
    If you have some money to spend, buy some book.
    check for the best ones at www.gamedev.net

you might also use one of the demo from the SDK and then build your engine around it.

Cheers

Eddie

Right now Im using OpenGL instead...and when the engine is finnished, Ill do the same in D3D.

Hi! Overdose here...I sent thise e-mail to some dudes that I hope can help me...but I decided to post it here as well....maby you can help me! =)

Im kind of new to 3d, Ive coded some ff6-engines in DJGPP, but I just recently decided to start working with 3D! I have this really cool idea of a game, but I dont know where to start! =( First I thought I read some tutorials and then I have my game done, but I have realized this is not how it works!! =) I now know I have to start working on a engine first. I want it to use "Software mode", OpenGL & D3D. Ive read through NeHe's tutorials on OpenGL, and Im now understanding the basics, in both 3D and OpenGL. But what do I do now? First of I want a mapviewer, then later on Im going to change this into a "Tomb Raider"-kind of game. Uhm....right now I have NO clue about where to continue.....what should I do? /Simon

• DrGonzoDrGonzo Posts: 41Member
    : well, I have coded alot of 2d-engines and stuff, but never 3d. I have no clue about where to start....anybody know? I have downloaded dx8, I dont have MVC right know...
    : Ive worked alot in c++ but not for windows, ofcourse this is where I should start...but after that?
    :
    : get a book on OpenGL and OpenGL games, like the superbible.
    :
    :
    :

• vusakvusak Posts: 17Member
    hi od, well, im kinda in a similar position in some respects to yourself. im getting into openGL with vc++6. if you want to speed things up for yourself go grab SDL www.libsdl.org
    it will help with taking care of lots of stuff so you can focus on your game easier.

if youre confident, start by working out the data structures and stuff that youre going to use to handle the game data (maps, models, world settings). then once you have that going, go and create some editing tools that output files for those data structures. this way you can create objects and testing environments relatively fast. you'll need to implement the player interface and physics at this stage, and then start testing how things will move. if you get this far, then you probably will get your own ideas of what comes next.

the other way, the way im trying, is to do everything small, then work my way up. ive created a very rudimentary terrain that uses height maps, so my editor is MSpaint. im working on the very basics of the player interface (mouselook, movement, no physics yet) which just uses global variables rather than classes. and my next step will be adding code to import milkshape models. and then maybe adding matrix math to handle movement(rather than what i have now).

anyways, there are plenty of people here that know way more than me, but i think the best advice, is dont try and do everything perfect at once, take steps, it should be easier that way, good luck :)

Vusak
  • cpayettecpayette Posts: 35Member
    Hey I wanna see one of your FF6 engines, would that be ok?