trig functions in Qbasic - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

trig functions in Qbasic

I have 2 questions:

1) I just noticed that the trig functions in Qbasic are not accurate or correct. For example the true sine of 45 degrees is .707... but when I ask that sin(45) be displayed it gives .850... Why is this? Am I doing something wrong, or using incorrect syntax? Is this a bug in Qbasic?

2) If question #1 is answered/solved, then what is

the correct syntax or format to get the inverse displayed? (From .707 etc.. back to 45 degrees)?

A book that I have on Qbasic says that the command ATN is available. This should mean that if I enter ATN(.4567) for example, the displayed result should be 24.546... (answer in decimal degrees).

Thanks for any help you can give. --- Lew

Comments

• : ...Is this a bug in Qbasic?

It also shows as .850 in QuickBasic 4.5, VBDOS Pro, VB3 and VB5 Pro. Calc.exe does show .707, though. If it's a bug in QB, then it's apparently a bug in all of Microsoft's basic languages.

: A book that I have on Qbasic says that the command ATN is available. This should mean that if I enter ATN(.4567) for example, the displayed result should be 24.546... (answer in decimal degrees).

:

You need to convert ATN's output from rads to degrees. * (pi / 180) You can get pi using 4 * ATN(1).

Do you need a specific function to get from Atn to Sin? VB5's help file has a decent sized list (20) of Derived Math Functions dealing with Sin, Cos, Tan and their 1/x functions.

• : : ...Is this a bug in Qbasic?
    :
    : It also shows as .850 in QuickBasic 4.5, VBDOS Pro, VB3 and VB5 Pro. Calc.exe does show .707, though. If it's a bug in QB, then it's apparently a bug in all of Microsoft's basic languages.
    :
    : : A book that I have on Qbasic says that the command ATN is available. This should mean that if I enter ATN(.4567) for example, the displayed result should be 24.546... (answer in decimal degrees).
    : :
    :
    : You need to convert ATN's output from rads to degrees. * (pi / 180) You can get pi using 4 * ATN(1).
    : Do you need a specific function to get from Atn to Sin? VB5's help file has a decent sized list (20) of Derived Math Functions dealing with Sin, Cos, Tan and their 1/x functions.
    :
    Hi,
    Try this program

pi# = 3.141592653589793# '# makes the numbers double precision
    dtor# = pi# / 180# 'degrees to radians conversion factor

s# = SIN(45# * dtor#)
    PRINT s#

The value is pretty close.

Dick

• PuzzlerPuzzler Posts: 208Member
    All trig functions are in radians.

test it with: