Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

C Loop iterates but only prints once

MrPigeonMrPigeon AustraliaMember Posts: 8

Hey guys, just going to start off by saying I'm rather new to C. My problem is that I wrote this program for uni homework, but instead of getting eleven results printed out, I only get one. For instance:

a = 0.00; b = 1.00; c = 4.00; d = -6.00; e = 3.00; guess = 10.00

After 50 iterations ..... Root not found, method did not converge.

I was wondering whether anyone would be kind enough to give me advice on what I'm doing wrong?

P.S. Sorry, I tried to format it better, but I have no idea how to make my code look nice on this page.

include <stdio.h>

include <stdlib.h>

include <math.h>

define TOLERANCE 0.000005

int main(void) {

size_t  counter=0;

double  valueA=0.0,
        valueB=1.0,
        valueC=4.0,
        valueD=-6.0,
        valueE=3,
        initialGuess=0.0,
        guess=0.0,
        guessNext=0.0,
        polynomial=0.0,
        derivative=0.0;

//Initial Guess is set to -10.0 and will increment in steps of 2.0 each time the loop is iterated until
//the initial guess is set to 10.0 and eleven results have been produced
for (initialGuess = -10.0; initialGuess <= 10.0; initialGuess += 2.0); {

guess = initialGuess; //Guess is set to initialGuess so that it can be modified while still being able to display the value of initialGuess

//Calculate the 4th order polynomial
    polynomial = (pow((valueA * guess), 4)) + (pow((valueB * guess), 3)) + (pow((valueC * guess), 2)) + (valueD * guess) + (valueE);

//If the polynomial calculation is within the range of 0 and 0.000005, then the initial guess
    //has stumbled on a root of the polynomial.
    if (polynomial >= 0.0 && polynomial <= TOLERANCE) {

printf("a = %.2f; b = %.2f; c = %.2f; d = %.2f; e = %.2f; guess = %.2f", valueA, valueB, valueC, valueD, valueE, initialGuess);
        printf("\n");
        printf("Gives F(x) = %f at x = %f ..... Root found after 0 iterations.", polynomial, initialGuess);
        printf("\n");

} else {

//If the polynomial calculation is greater than 0.000005, calculate the derivative of the polynomial
        derivative = (pow((4 * valueA * guess), 3)) + (pow((3 * valueB * guess), 2)) + (2 * valueC * guess) + (valueD);

//If the derivative is within the range of 0 and 0.000005, Newton's method will not converge
        //as you can't divide by 0 and multiplying a number by a very small number will result in a very large number
        if (derivative >= 0 && derivative <= TOLERANCE) {

printf("a = %.2f; b = %.2f; c = %.2f; d = %.2f; e = %.2f; guess = %.2f", valueA, valueB, valueC, valueD, valueE, initialGuess);
            printf("\n");
            printf("Root not found - derivative value leads to a divergent result.");
            printf("\n");

}

//Iterates Newton's method 50 times
        for (counter = 0; counter < 50; counter++) {

//Calculate Newton's method to get the next guess and set the old guess to it.
            guessNext = guess - (polynomial / derivative);
            guess = guessNext;

//Calculate the new polynomial and derivative
            polynomial = (pow((valueA * guess), 4)) + (pow((valueB * guess), 3)) + (pow((valueC * guess), 2)) + (valueD * guess) + (valueE);
            derivative = (pow((4 * valueA * guess), 3)) + (pow((3 * valueB * guess), 2)) + (2 * valueC * guess) + (valueD);

//Check for the same conditions previously
            if (polynomial >= 0.0 && polynomial <= TOLERANCE) {

printf("\n");
                printf("Gives F(x) = %f at x = %f ..... Root found after 0 iterations.", polynomial, initialGuess);
                printf("\n");

} else if (derivative >= 0 && derivative <= TOLERANCE) {

printf("\n");
                printf("Root not found - derivative value leads to a divergent result.");
                printf("\n");

}

}

//If the loop has iterated 50 times, it is assumed that the next guess cycled between the same region
        //and that the method did not converge
        if (counter == 50) {
            printf("\n");
            printf("After 50 iterations ..... Root not found, method did not converge.");
            printf("\n");

}
    }

}

return 0;

}

Comments

• MrPigeonMrPigeon AustraliaMember Posts: 8

@tienkhoanguyen Ah thank you for responding :) My problem wasn't so much with the maths as it was with the for loop only printing one result instead of eleven. I've modified it from a for loop to a while loop and it seems to be functioning properly now.

Sorry to double post, but I just realised that I had a semicolon after my for loop. I'm an idiot..

Haha thanks. I've learnt java before. And I'm doing C++ as well this semester, so C feels familiar but at the same time rather strange and archaic.