*(int*)x - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

*(int*)x

Sarang235Sarang235 IndiaPosts: 2Member

Can anyone tell what does (int)x means. I will give you the context. I am trying to understand a program where I encountered this int compare(const void x,const void *y) { if((int)x<(int*)y) return -1; return 1; } I am not able to understand what does it means. I am beginner in programming. Please help

Comments

• tienkhoanguyentienkhoanguyen houPosts: 158Member

I think that if forces that compiler to recognize x as an integer, and it forces it to recognize y as an integer too. The only difference is y is a pointer to a value. It might be a mistake because I normally see it declared clearly ahead of time. However, I am also new to C so I do not really know.