Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Purposes of Different Kinds of Loops

sashimi17sashimi17 DallasPosts: 7Member

I've wondered ever since I started learning to code what the best kind of tasks to use the different kinds of loops for are.

What's a common situation in which it's most efficient to use a while loop? What's the best time to use a for loop?

Perhaps most importantly, when do I want to use a do-while loop instead of a while loop? I know (or at least I think) that a do-while loop will always execute at least once, whereas a while loop might not execute at all if the initial condition is not met. In what kind of situation is a do-while loop most useful?

Thank you.

Comments

• IcepickleIcepickle GermanyPosts: 48Member
    edited August 6

a good example of a do while loop is buffered reading, where you would read a stream for example, until there is no more data to get, this would go in pseudo code (no real functionalities, possible scenarios) rather like this:

var lastReadCount, buffer = [], bufferSize = 1024;
    do 
    {
        lastReadCount = file.read(buffer, 0, bufferSize);
        // write content of buffer to stream
    } while (lastReadCount > 0);

another possible variation would be (which would in this case dupplicate code (2 possible places where you would need to correct errors, in case there are some))

var buffer, bufferSize = 1024,

while (lastReadCount > 0) {
    // write content of buffer to stream (notice that you need 2 read statements)
    }

a for loop you rather use when you are working with an indexer, and with a distinct number of items

for (var i = 0; i < length; i++) {
        // do stuff (preferably with the indexer (i))
    }

which would also work, in case you changed it to

var i = 0;
    while (i < length) {
        // do stuff  (preferably with the indexer (i))
        i++;
    }

or by using

var i = 0;
    do {
        // do stuff  (preferably with the indexer (i))
    } while (++i < length);

which clearly complicates the readability, and your required attention span (remembering to increase the iterator, so that you don't get stuck in an infinite loop, etc...)

maybe as a last info, when deleting members out of an array, it is also preferred to use a for loop, with a decreasing indexer

var length  = bigArray.length;
    for (var i = length; --i >= 0;) { // you could notice that i is decreased inside of the evaluator, and not necessary at the end
        if (i % 2 == 0) {
            // remove element from array & continue
            continue;
        }
    }