Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Javascript best practices for variables and functions

sashimi17sashimi17 DallasPosts: 7Member

I've used several different languages and I was wondering what the "best practices" are for writing javascript variable and function names so that I don't annoy everyone I end up working with by using non-standard naming conventions.

If I'm writing a variable for last name, should I format it:

var last_name; var lastName;

or some other way?

If I'm writing a function, how would I format it?

LastName()

Last_Name()

or is there a better way?

Are there any other naming/commenting standards I should know about?

Answers

• IcepickleIcepickle GermanyPosts: 49Member

there are some naming conventions that we use at our company, following jslint proposals

variable names, start with lowercase, each new word starts with one uppercase

var lastName, firstName;

functions are a bit more "intresting", when it should be an object that would be a "class" of it's own, use:

function Person() {
        // do something
    }

which you would call with: var person = new Person();

function Person(firstName, lastName) {
        this.firstName = firstName;
        this.lastName = lastName;

this.getFullName = function() {
                return this.firstName + ' ' + this.lastName;
        }
    }

some info on the jslint: http://www.jslint.com/lint.html

it's always good if the editor you are working in is also helping you, Brackets is actually doing a pretty good job at it :)