Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

VB6 ListView1.FindItem by key gets error '13'

StuckWithVB6StuckWithVB6 Little Rock, ARMember Posts: 2

' I've been pulling my hair out over this one, any help is greatly appreciated.

' I'm loading a VB6 ListView with up to 70K of items and populating the Key
' property of each item with the Add method. View=lvwReport.

' My interpretation of the docs is that I can provide either an index or a key
' in the "index" parameter of FindItem. If the data type of the "index" parameter
' is String, then FindItem will use the value as a Key. If integer, then Index.
' If no key or index is supplied, FindItem will start at the beginning of the
' list each time, which would be much slower than using a key.

' As long as I specify an integer for "index", FindItem work fine. When I specify
' a string key value, it gets run-time error 13 type mismatch. It's as though
' FindItem doesn't recognize that I'm supplying a string key, not an integer index.

Dim LI As ListItem
Dim W$

' object.Add(index, key, text, icon, smallIcon)
Set LI = ListView1.ListItems.Add(, "K111", "111")
Set LI = ListView1.ListItems.Add(, "K222", "222")
Set LI = ListView1.ListItems.Add(, "K333", "333")
W$ = ListView1.ListItems(2).Key ' Just checkin', Returns "K222"

' FindItem Method (ListView Control)

' Syntax: object.FindItem (string, value, index, match)
' object Required. An object expression that evaluates to a ListView control.
' string Required. A string expression indicating the ListItem object to be found.
' value Optional. An integer or constant specifying whether the string will be matched to
' the ListItem object's Text, Subitems, or Tag property, as described in Settings.
' index Optional. An integer or string that uniquely identifies a member of an object
' collection and specifies the location from which to begin the search. The integer
' is the value of the Index property; the string is the value of the Key property.
' If no index is specified, the default is 1.
' match Optional. An integer or constant specifying that a match will occur if the item's
' Text property is the same as the string, as described in Settings.

Set LI = ListView1.FindItem("222", lvwText, 1)      ' "index" is an integer (Start search at item #1). <==Works, returns "222"
Set LI = ListView1.FindItem("222", lvwText, 2)      ' "index" is an integer (start search at item #2). <==Works, returns "222"
Set LI = ListView1.FindItem("222", lvwText, 3)      ' "index" is an integer (start search at item #3). <==Fails, returns nothing

' Start search at item whose key property = "K222" Gets a Run-time error '13', type mismatch
Set LI = ListView1.FindItem("222", lvwText, "K222") ' "index" is a string Key. Start search at item whose key property = "K222"

Comments