Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Searching linked list for specific string

HawkfrostHawkfrost MoonPosts: 1Member
edited December 2013 in Pascal
function findName(s:list): pointer;
var p: pointer;
var b: string;
begin
p := s.head;
readln(b);

while (p <> nil) do
   begin
   if b = p^.name then
   findName:= p;
   break
   end;
findName:= nil;
end;      

Hello, I wrote this function to find an element in my linked list and give me pointer to that element so that I can write out it's name and other informations stored there. For some reason this always returns just nil. Any ideas why this doesn't work and / or suggestions how to make this work? Thanks!

Comments

• quikcarlxquikcarlx Hollywood, FlPosts: 26Member

You might try putting in a little extra to get around the nil situation.

while (p <> nil) do begin
        if b = p^.name then **begin
          findName:= p;
          break
         end**
       end;
    findName:= nil;