Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Poor Beginner in Despair---Help with "file.java.swp"?

Jean216Jean216 Posts: 3Member
Hi there! Thanks for clicking on this thread!

I am a beginner, a confused but eager one!

I am using the Java language and trying to program for a simple single line of text.

I turned on DOS and got to make a file (with a "vi thing" I downloaded with Cygwin) like this:

C:folder>vi Howdy.java

I press enter and a blank space appears and I type EXACTLY like in the tutorial video:

apublic class Howdy {
public static void main(String Arg[]) {
System.out.println("Howdy Y'all!);
}
}

Then compile the program. I turned on another DOS, and got it to display my files and directories. In the tutorial video, the instructor's file appeared correctly as "Howdy.java", but mine appeared as "Howdy.java.swp".

When I tried to use javac with it, DOS told me javac was not recognized as an internal or external command.

I am very perplexed and deeply troubled! I've been trying to troubleshoot it all day long but couldn't get it.

If anyone would shed some light at all, I would be tearfully thankful.