Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

directx 9 with visual studio 2012 express

issamfazissamfaz Posts: 2Member
I decided to learn directx on my old laptop that has an ATI Radeon X1200 card.
Using the program GPU-Z.0.7.2 I found that my card support directx 9 /SM2.0 and has shadrers of 4 Pixel / 2 Vertex.
Using dxdiag on my windows 7 I found that directx version is directx 11. Then I downloaded visual studio 2012 express but I did not install it yet.
Since my card supports only directx 9 im going to read the book Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.
Now what version of the direct SDK do I have to download ? and after downloading the SDK what should I install first the SDK or visual studio 2012 express ? Is the book ok ? I mean there are other editions of the book but they supprt directx 9c , directx 10 and directx 11.

Thank u so much.

Comments

• OceanJeff40OceanJeff40 Posts: 9Member

You can use Direct X 9 SDK of course, to learn with the book. You can also program and create programs for Direct X 11, but obviously you can't test the 11 functionality and interfaces, etc. But you can easily install the Direct X 11 SDK and program with the .lib and etc files, I would only recommend the direct x 9 sdk for the documentation. You are able to call the Direct X 9 interfaces with a Direct X 11 SDK install, so it should be fine.

As I understand it, it's been a while since I've used Direct X, I use the DARK GDK which is a wrapper for Direct X, and it's free from microsoft. Check it out, if you are interested.

Hope this helps,

Jeff C