Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Distributing your game

Jake238Jake238 Posts: 2Member
Ok so I finally finished a game I was working on in visual studio 2010. It required OpenGL and SDL for the graphics and was of course programmed in C++. Only problem now is that I cannot share this awesome game with family and friends. It wont work on their computers or laptops. How am I able to distribute the game? I have all these files once the game is compiled. For example, the debug folder which includes the bulk of the program. How can I make it so I can distribute this game on a disk or something? Do I need a certain software?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• WessichtWessicht Posts: 3Member
    Mm. That's a common mistake. It's important to think about cross-platform compatibility and portability early on the game development process. My guess is you've got some machine dependent code that was created by overzealous optimization on your compiler. I assume you are using .NET?

There's not much you can do about it, except redeveloping the game to be machine independent. I don't know the state of your code, so this could be easier or more difficult, depending on how organized you were in the beginning.

If you do develop a machine independent binary, you can distribute the game through CD-RW/DVD-RW, depending on your memory needs.