Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Understanding BMP better

HI Everyone.
I'm not sure if I have picked the right forum or not, or even the right place to ask this question.
By the way ...
Today I opened a .bmp file for the first time and I saw somethings.
What I understood was that the first (almost) 50 characters consists some things I couldn't understand.
And the remaining consist 3 * pixels characters.
I believe that they determine how the RGB should be mixed.
BUT what made me create this thread was that when I tried to edit it with notepad, neither Paint nor WindowsPhotoViewer couldn't open/read/render it anymore.
I even tried replacing a character like : '

Comments

• Ardeshir81Ardeshir81 Posts: 4Member
    At least tell me if I asked it in wrong forum, so that I can go somewhere else :|
    At least tell me if I asked it in wrong forum, so that I can go somewhere else :|
  • tienkhoanguyentienkhoanguyen houPosts: 113Member

First all, credit goes to Jesus Christ! Next honour to my father, Thuy Binh Nguyen, and my mother, Huong Thi Vu. My name is Tien Khoa Nguyen. To introduce to you a bit, I am a newbie myself however I also have to start somewhere. I just learned something about bitmap that will amaze you. If you store a bitmap uncompressed you are able to decode the image using only the color value. I am new so please forgive me for being so dumb. However, in 16 color mode which is like the simplest mode you can get, a single integer with the greatest value being 255 can represent two pixels. So you have to use bit operation to decode the colors which I am still figuring out myself. However, I will give you the complete source code and program itself. It will install all the C files in the directory "Program files/ShowOff" or something like that. It is in your Program files directory. Here is the link if you are interested. In either case, you are not so stupid to ask because I worked without sleep to figure even the littlest easiest way to decode a bitmap. It is just they make it hard because they now use compression.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=663041A65D9AC20B!594&authkey=!AJxmW_7wePtYbWM&ithint=file,exe

Once again, that is the link above. If you have any questions, please remember I am a newbie myself. So please forgive me if I cannot answer your question. Thank you. God bless you!

-Tien Khoa Nguyen