Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Help required scaling a Sinewave please?

LP25LP25 Posts: 2Member
Hello,
Firstly I apologise if this has been addressed elsewhere - I tried to search but I got an error so after flicking through several pages (and having spent about 3 weeks searching the whole of the internet for help with this) and over 40 hours trying to sort the problem myself, I have resorted to asking on here.

I am REALLY new to programming and also very dumb. I try so hard but just always struggle. With everything. I was set an assignment which I couldn't do and therefore failed. I am still determined to do this assignment (even though it won't be marked I need to understand how it works), predominantly on my own, but I have hit a massive snag which has prevented me from completing it. The assignment was to create a raw mono audio file with user-defined frequency and sample rate. I have done this, but some frequencies cause clipping when the file is opened in Audacity, which is what I'm testing it in. I was hoping there is a way of "scaling" the sine wave so that it didn't clip? I would really appreciate any advice you have (other than "Give up now"), Thank you.
The code is here:

//Programme to generate a sine wave in a raw mono audio file.
using namespace std;

//Defined Constants
const double pi=3.141592;
const unsigned short int Samplength=2;
const unsigned short int amp=1;

//Defined Variables
unsigned short int Samplerate;
float sinewav(float,float);
float tone;

int main ()
{
//The user makes their choices here.
cout<<"This programme enables you to create a raw mono audio file.
";
cout<<"You may choose the frequency, the samplerate and the number of harmonics.
";
cout<<"What frequency would you like your tone to be?
";
cin>> tone;
cout<<"Thank you. You have chosen the frequency:" <<tone<<".
";
cout<<"What Samplerate would you like to set for your file?
";
cin>> Samplerate;
cout<<"Thank you. You have chosen the Samplerate:" <<Samplerate<<".
";
//The file is opened here.
FILE *o;
if ((o = fopen("123123.raw","wb")) == NULL)
{
printf ("Error creating file 123123.raw");
return 1;
}
float y;
for(int i=0;i<Samplength*Samplerate;++i)
{
y=sinewav(tone,i);fwrite(&y,4,1,o);
//Is there something I could put here to scale it?
}
fclose(o);
return 0;
}

float sinewav(float frequency, float timepoint)
{
return sin(2.0*pi*frequency*timepoint/Samplerate);
//I tried * this by 0.5 to ensure no clipping but obviously it still clipped at some of the higher frequencies.
}

Comments