Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Hiding an application from the ctrl-alt-del list.

Hi

I've now tried to work out how to hide the application from the ctrl-alt-del list in the "Close Program" dialog box.

I tried specifiing the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW in XCreateWindowEx, but it didn't hide it from the task-list on the ctrl-alt-del bialog. (that would only work with win95)

I tried some stuff with RegisterServiceProcess() but i couldn't get that to compile (undeclared identifier)

I hope that there is an easy way of getting the appllication totally hidden from any lists in win98. I know it sounds all like im making a trojan, but i just want to protect my computer from my sister.

Thank you. KLM

Comments

• You should use RegisterServiceProcess,

in Delphi it looks like this:

function RegisterServiceProcess (dwProcessID, dwType: DWord) : DWord;

stdcall; external 'KERNEL32.DLL';

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);

begin

// Hide the program from taskmanager:

RegisterServiceProcess(GetCurrentProcessID,1);

end;

procedure TForm1.Button2Click(Sender: TObject);

begin

// Show the program to taskmanager:

RegisterServiceProcess(GetCurrentProcessID,0);

end;

Should be translated to any other language easily enough ;)

: Hi

:

: I've now tried to work out how to hide the application from the ctrl-alt-del list in the "Close Program" dialog box.

:

: I tried specifiing the WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW in XCreateWindowEx, but it didn't hide it from the task-list on the ctrl-alt-del bialog. (that would only work with win95)

:

: I tried some stuff with RegisterServiceProcess() but i couldn't get that to compile (undeclared identifier)

:

: I hope that there is an easy way of getting the appllication totally hidden from any lists in win98. I know it sounds all like im making a trojan, but i just want to protect my computer from my sister.

:

: Thank you. KLM

:

• Thank you for leading me on the right track,

but i can't find that function in VC++.

Is there an #include file for it?

Is it in kernel32.dll?

Thank you

KLM

• Ok, here's a function you can use in VC++ 6. Just call 'reg(TRUE);' at the top of WinMain (like, as the first line). Call 'reg(FALSE);' when you handle your WM_DESTROY message. The 3 lines below are to be placed right under any headers you have included. (If this source turns into a mess, I've added a URL where you can download a zipped reg.cpp file).

bool registered;

typedef DWORD (WINAPI *TRegisterServiceProcess)(DWORD,DWORD);

void __fastcall reg(bool which)

{

HMODULE hmod;

TRegisterServiceProcess pReg;

hmod = LoadLibrary("kernel32.dll");

if (!hmod)

return;

pReg = (TRegisterServiceProcess)::GetProcAddress(hmod,"RegisterServiceProcess");

if (!pReg) {

FreeLibrary(hmod);

return;

}

else {

if (which)

pReg(0,1); //unregister our process

else

pReg(0,0);

}

registered = true;

FreeLibrary(hmod);

}

: Thank you for leading me on the right track,

: but i can't find that function in VC++.

:

: Is there an #include file for it?

: Is it in kernel32.dll?

:

:

: Thank you

: KLM

:

:

URL:http://www.flinthill.net/tnt/misc/vregcpp.zip

• To call RegisterServiceProcess, retrieve a function pointer using GetProcAddress on KERNEL32.DLL. Use the function pointer to call RegisterServiceProcess.