Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Creating raster map and calculating averages

Rain1290Rain1290 Posts: 2Member
0down votefavorite

I am working on my Master's thesis and have thought about using ArcGIS to create a raster map of latitude/longitude (0 to 360 degrees) temperature data (in Excel format). This temperature data reflects the total amount of warming that has occurred per degree Celsius of global warming by location. For my purposes, my data collection process involves me upscaling regional temperature warming into a global mean temperature warming.

As such, what I am attempting to do is transform the provided Excel data into a raster map in ArcGIS. In doing this, I would be able to visually see regional temperature increases per degree Celsius of global warming. The idea is to be able to more flexibly calculate regional temperature averages per degree Celsius of global warming (such as in the NW Pacific, or the North Atlantic), so that I can upscale these averages into a global mean temperature warming. My question is, would it be possible to calculate these averages in this way? If so, what procedure can I follow?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Trav.~