what first? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

what first?

CamFCamF Posts: 2Member
Hi all,

I regularly scan all my important docs, but my scanner simply creates a PDF with a generic name and dumps it in a folder by date. Because its a pain to rename and move the file manually after scanning it (with 3 kids running around), I just have a huge directory organized only by date, and with generally each PDF having the same filename.

So...

I wish I could simply right click over the newly created PDF in windows explorer, choose a category like "bill" or "taxes" from a pre-defined list, then the program would open a small textfield so I can quickly rename the file before it moves it to the corresponding pre-defined directory based on the category I chose.

I am not new to programming, but have NO IDEA where I would begin doing a little program like this in windows, or even what language I would use to do it, or if its even possible :) I only have experience programming embedded language for 3D software applications, and google apps script.

Can anyone give an indication of where I should start? and possibly how difficult this would be to program? Is there even any software out there that could do this already?

Thanks! look forward to any replies.
Cam