Creating a GUI? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Creating a GUI?

SpirrwellSpirrwell Posts: 3Member
Alright, my ultimate goal is to create an operating system. I have some very basic knowledge of 32 bit Assembly, and I have near complete understanding of CC++. What I don't know how to do is to communicate with hardware such as the video card to create color on the screen without dependency of an operating system. I'm not looking for a 256 colors tutorial, but that would be nice for some understanding. I specifically want to know about 32 bit color. I assume I'd have to create my own "VGA" driver to do something like this.

At least a point in the right direction would be nice. Finding tutorials on Assembly and understanding what to do is really hard. I'm only sixteen, so some small words would be nice.

Comments

• phillidphillid Posts: 3Member
    Hi. I'm also writing my own operating system. I once tried adding all of the flashy things to my OS before I had a full understanding of Assembly and techniques I could use, etc etc.
    Although it's great that you are keen to write a graphics driver, I recommend writing some code for doing stuff like putting text on the screen and converting integers to strings or something like that before attempting.

Try getting a basic OS with a bootloader, kernel and shell and a simple 256-bit color graphics program up and running first.

Just my opinion based on past experiences...

Thanks,
    Phillid
  • phillidphillid Posts: 3Member
    Hi. I'm also writing my own operating system. I once tried adding all of the flashy things to my OS before I had a full understanding of Assembly and techniques I could use, etc etc.
    Although it's great that you are keen to write a graphics driver, I recommend writing some code for doing stuff like putting text on the screen and converting integers to strings or something like that before attempting.

Try getting a basic OS with a bootloader, kernel and shell and a simple 256-bit color graphics program up and running first.

Just my opinion based on past experiences...

Thanks,
    Phillid