servlet beginner confused - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

servlet beginner confused

anarelleanarelle Posts: 2Member
I need to call a servlet from an HTML file, but I can't get my servlet to work outside the Eclipse IDE. Something must be wrong with my paths, but I don't know what.
I'm using Tomcat 7.0.

This is my servlet class:
package myapp;
public class HelloServlet extends HttpServlet {
private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;
protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();

Hello World!

I also have this web.xml file:

And my HTML file has a simple form like this:

Then, in my C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationTomcat 7.0webapps folder I created a "test" folder where I placed my index.html file and a WEB-INF folder with the web.xml file and a sub-folder called "classes", where I placed and HelloServlet.class.
I also set environment variables in my windows 7 system: CATALINA_HOME with value C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationTomcat 7.0 and CLASSPATH with value %CLASSPATH%;%CATALINA_HOME%commonlibservlet-api.jar;.

With all of this, I start tomcat, open index.html and click on the submit button. All I get is a "Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 7.0/webapps/test/HelloServlet" error message.
What kind of newbie mistake am I making?