Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

NetLogo_GeneticProgramming

SalesmanSalesman Posts: 1Member
[size=1]Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how does the genetic algorithm works? I don't understand what does random-seed in the program means? Is it number? A constant? If it is, why do we need it?
This is the program I'm talking about ->
http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~fjs750/netlogo/final/gpdemo.html
Sorry for my bad English :( Thanks for reply :)[/size][color=Green][/color]

Comments

• AgnivAgniv Posts: 2Member
    [size=4][size=3]I understand I am replying very late and I am not quite sure if the answer to your question is still relevant to you...

the 'random seed' in this example given by you indicates a random value/path with which the turtle starts to move. In genetic algorithm, sometimes a random value is inserted to take the search process out of local minima. It may also help to speed up the search.

To my understanding, this example uses a random seed only in the first step. However, the results are clear. On one particular case with random seed 'on', I got convergence in 20 steps. The same search took 250 generations with the same population size (9).

It is simply a random path that can be anywhere on the map. The subsequent chromosomes are derived from this chromosome. The exact process depends upon the value of 'clone-chance', 'mutate-chance' and 'crossover-chance'.

On a different note, if you are trying to learn GA from basics, IMHO... it is better not to use any libraries initially. Use C/C++/Java/Perl etc. and code it from scratch.[/size][/size]
  • AgnivAgniv Posts: 2Member
    [size=4][size=3]I understand I am replying very late and I am not quite sure if the answer to your question is still relevant to you...

the 'random seed' in this example given by you indicates a random value/path with which the turtle starts to move. In genetic algorithm, sometimes a random value is inserted to take the search process out of local minima. It may also help to speed up the search.

To my understanding, this example uses a random seed only in the first step. However, the results are clear. On one particular case with random seed 'on', I got convergence in 20 steps. The same search took 250 generations with the same population size (9).

It is simply a random path that can be anywhere on the map. The subsequent chromosomes are derived from this chromosome. The exact process depends upon the value of 'clone-chance', 'mutate-chance' and 'crossover-chance'.

On a different note, if you are trying to learn GA from basics, IMHO... it is better not to use any libraries initially. Use C/C++/Java/Perl etc. and code it from scratch.[/size][/size]