Assembly Newbie - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Assembly Newbie

Hi,

I've never programmed before but I do have a book called "Programming from the Ground Up" which I'll start studying in the New Year. I've been told that I should start with something easier but I have my heart set on learning Assembly and I'm going to learn it no matter what.

I have a few questions:

1) I've heard that many programmers who learn Assembly always use it for everything and nothing else. Why?

2) How do I get started in Assembly? I run a Ubuntu OS. Do I need to download anything extra? (the book doesn't make it very clear)

Thanks!