Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

New to VB, good choice to start?

IfritxIfritx Posts: 1Member
I'm new to Visual Basic and programming in general. I'm in a college course "Computer Programmer" In this course we are focusing on VB as a start language, but I've heard that Python is a much easier programming language to learn first. I'm thinking of trying to learn python on my own time, but i'm wondering if it would be more productive to spend all my time learning VB than trying to learn 2 at once. I'm looking to go into a career in game programming, but i'm also very interested in "Quantum Programming" for Quantum computers which I believe is the future of computers/programming. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• GrumpyOgreGrumpyOgre Posts: 5Member
    I teach both Python and Visual Basic to relatively novice programmers. For my introductory course I teach VB and I like it for many reasons. First off, you can create a window in an instant. Creating forms and buttons and using form events is a snap and it is actually very nicely integrated with Windows itself (and office too if you choose to). I like it as an introductory language/programming environment. That being said, it is a terrible environment for game design unless you choose to do direct x programming but that is a huge jump in complexity. If you choose to make turn based games with not a lot of movement or animation then VB will suffice and you can do well.

Python is the language of choice for new programmers and game design. I use pygame within Python and again I love it. That being said, Pygame from within windows is a bit of a dog sometimes. It works and you can create some spectacular 2d games. But there are some issues like creating a key event to "quit" the game. If you use Ubuntu it isn't an issue. Go figure.

In a nutshell. Either will work great for a new programmer. What you are after as a new programmer is to learn the "process of programming". For the most part, the language is irrelevant. Once you learn one language, others can be picked up very quickly. So don't think that in the end you want to be a game designer or whatever that you should start with a specific language. Learn the process first. Learn how to develop algorithms and think like a programmer. Once you have that then the rest will fall in to place.

Hope this helps.
  • GrumpyOgreGrumpyOgre Posts: 5Member
    This post has been deleted.