Help with strncpy - crypt code - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help with strncpy - crypt code

szylviaszylvia Posts: 5Member
Hi everybody!
This is my first post in this forum : )

I am newbie but with a huge interest to learn Borland C++ ( 5.5.1) ( or perhaps I should choose C++Builder XE ?) (I always need just small pieces of code like this one here, with no interface or any other stuff, that

Comments

• pseudocoderpseudocoder Posts: 691Member ✭✭✭
    I took a quick stab at an encrypt and decrypt variation; not sure how many bugs exist or whether or not it will be of any use... added the space for entering phrases.

[code]
    #include
    #include
    #include

static char* letter = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789!@#$%^&;*()_-+=[{]};:|,<.>?~` ";
    static char* codes[] = {"duL","1TQ","YTp","IoU","1oM","goJ","ooQ","oof","got","kdo","toh","ko5","oJo","nCo","6Bo","BXo","loq","0oY","oG3","4x0","wF4","wkp","i6e","Z8Y","PKx","KZg","b5p","72Y","IX5","x6q","0IK","AiM","jCK","CBH","nGO","kvp","516","xsN","jKF","12S","iFc","7Sc","Yz2","n2b","xdJ","kGR","2Po","DlY","UYA","VR5","8RJ","6pB","FHi","LG6","ZNl","TWy","hqx","D1X","RNV","iY3","9Fq","JsW","p1U","uO0","i8j","CYX","WPl","OKu","ZeF","Nca","nz9","YM8","ijk","Rfx","KnD","2Um","jqT","CVx","dsE","YRz","5OD","L9Q","jaA","5RG","sv1","dlA","DRB","cZW","WYY","nS7", "XZ0" };

char *encode(const char *src) {

char *tmp = NULL;

if((tmp = malloc((strlen(src) * 3) + 1)) != NULL) {
    strcpy(tmp, "");
    while(*src) {
    strcat(tmp, codes[strchr(letter, *src) - letter]);
    ++src;
    }
    }

return tmp;
    }

char *decode(const char *src) {

int idx = 0, i, j=0;
    char *tmp = NULL,
    buf[4];

if((tmp = malloc((strlen(src) / 3) + 2)) != NULL) {

while(idx < strlen(src)) {
    memset(buf, 0, sizeof buf);
    strncpy(buf, (src + idx), 3);
    for(i=0; i < sizeof(codes)/sizeof(codes[0]); ++i) {
    if(strcmp(buf, codes[i]) == 0) {
    *(tmp + j++) = letter[i];
    break;
    }
    }

idx += 3;
    }
    }

*(tmp + j) = '';
    return tmp;
    }

int main(void) {

char *test = "a simple string to try out",
    *encoded = encode(test),
    *decoded = decode(encoded);

if(encoded && decoded) {
    puts(encoded);
    puts(decoded);
    free(encoded);
    free(decoded);
    }

return 0;
    }[/code]
  • szylviaszylvia Posts: 5Member

Hi pseudocoder!
    Thank you for the code and fast reply ! I appreciate that and I can see that you change a lot my code..sorry for the mess, I am still learning coding..
    Unfortunately, when I compile it I get this message below , and both of them refers to your line :

Hi pseudocoder!
    Thank you for the code and fast reply ! I appreciate that and I can see that you change a lot my code..sorry for the mess, I am still learning coding..
    Unfortunately, when I compile it I get this message below , and both of them refers to your line :
  • pseudocoderpseudocoder Posts: 691Member ✭✭✭
    hello; glad to help out if I can. there are folks here who know their stuff, but I'm more of a hobbyist. :)

try casting malloc; it's been a while since I've done any programming on a regular basis and can't recall all of the particulars. I don't use Borland, and didn't run into that problem.

[code]
    if((tmp = (char *)malloc((strlen(src) * 3) + 1)) != NULL) {
    }[/code]

welcome to the board.
    Hello

THANKS A LOT for the quick response..I really can see a light in the end of the tunnel .. : )

I compiled that here and it worked, however, when I put it into my main code and just rename your function from
    Hi there!
    I fixed it here now, thanks again!!
    I will try it out more and let you (and the others )know the result later on
    I look forward to your contact
    Thanks again!
    S