What exactly is a word ? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

What exactly is a word ?

tubbytubby Posts: 7Member
Hello people,
What exactly is a word ?
I know a word is basically a unit and i know the word=2 bytes on an x-86 processor.
But is the word size the same on an Itanium Processor as well ?
I feel 1 word = 2bytes(x86)
= 4bytes(32 bit system)
= 8bytes(64 bit system)
That is the word size ,is always taken such that [b]The size of a pointer is always equal to 1 word[/b]

Please clarify

Comments

• HK_MP5KPDWHK_MP5KPDW Posts: 770Member ✭✭✭
    Well, [link=http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=computer+word+definition][u]a simple search[/u][/link] can enable easily find this out.

The very first result from that is [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_word][u]this[/u][/link].
  • Malcolm_McLeanMalcolm_McLean Posts: 254Member ✭✭
    Processors have an address bus and a data bus. The address bus says "give me the contents of this location in memory", the data bus says "these are the contents". In C, addresses are pointers.
    Normally it's handy to have the data bus and the address bus the same width, but this needn't be the case. The 286 was an important exception.

• sapoorvasapoorva Posts: 4Member
    Word is nothing but what a processor can process at an instance. As you told that for all x86 processor family we have

1 word = 2bytes(x86 16 bit system)
    1 word = 4bytes(32 bit system)
    1 word = 8bytes(64 bit system)

This variation is because 16 bits system can process 16 bits = 2 bytes at a time. Similarly for 32 bits system it is 4 bytes.

So the core thing is
    1 word = number of bytes that can be processed by a processor at an instance.
  • sapoorvasapoorva Posts: 4Member
    Word is nothing but what a processor can process at an instance. As you told that for all x86 processor family we have

1 word = 2bytes(x86 16 bit system)
    1 word = 4bytes(32 bit system)
    1 word = 8bytes(64 bit system)

This variation is because 16 bits system can process 16 bits = 2 bytes at a time. Similarly for 32 bits system it is 4 bytes.

So the core thing is
    1 word = number of bytes that can be processed by a processor at an instance.