Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Help with Pointers to Array of Struct in C++

DrewBDrewB Posts: 1Member
First let me start out that saying Pointers are probly my least favorite part of programming. I can get pointers to work with single variables and I think I can as well for single structures, when it comes to pointers and arrays I understand slightly but not fully.

Now when it comes to making a pointer to an Array of structures I feel dumbfounded and have been struggling over this for a few days.

I am trying to make a pointer to the array of Structures and using the pointer send the array to the display function showCarInfo().

I have looked through just about every book I can at my college library and none of them have any information on using Pointers and Structure Arrays. I know that people will not do my homework for me here and I have what i've been trying posted below, this is part of my final Exam and any help would be appreciated.

[code]
#include
#include
#include
using namespace std;

const int SIZE = 3;

struct CarInfo
{
string carMake;
string carModel;
int carYear;
string carColor;
};

void getCarInfo(CarInfo [], int);
void showCarInfo(CarInfo [], int);

int main()
{
CarInfo cars[SIZE], *carsPtr;
carsPtr = cars;

getCarInfo(cars, SIZE);

showCarInfo(cars, SIZE);

system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

void getCarInfo(CarInfo cars[], int SIZE)
{
for ( int i = 0 ; i < SIZE ; i++ )
{
cout << "Enter the Car Make: ";
cin >> cars[i].carMake;

cout << "Enter the Car Model: ";
cin >> cars[i].carModel;

cout << "Enter the Car Year: ";
cin >> cars[i].carYear;

cout << "Enter the Car Color: ";
cin >> cars[i].carColor;

cout << endl;
}
}

void showCarInfo(CarInfo cars[], int SIZE)
{
cout << "Car #:" << setw(10) << "Make"
<< setw(10) << "Model"
<< setw(10) << "Year"
<< setw(10) << "Color"
<< endl;
cout << "----------------------------------------------" << endl;
for ( int j = 0 ; j < SIZE ; j++)
{

cout << "Car " << (j + 1) << ":" << setw(10) << cars[j].carMake
<< setw(10) << cars[j].carModel
<< setw(10) << cars[j].carYear
<< setw(10) << cars[j].carColor
<< endl;
}
}
[/code]

If what I understand is correct I have properly assigned carsPtr the memory address of cars[0]. However whenever I try to display anything ,after having recieved the input, using the code:

[code]
cout << *(carsPtr+1).carMake;
[/code]

I get the following errors:
H:COMS-171 WinterProjectsFE1.cpp In function `int main()':
27 H:COMS-171 WinterProjectsFE1.cpp `carMake' has not been declared
27 H:COMS-171 WinterProjectsFE1.cpp request for member of non-aggregate type before ';' token

My book did not have more than a few sentences on Pointers to Arrays of Structures and using multiple books this is the best I have been able to come up with so far. If I can just get the pointer to work I'm fairly certain I can get it to the function with ease.

Comments

• pseudocoderpseudocoder Posts: 686Member ✭✭✭
    As I recall, you can use

cout << ( *(carsPtr + 1) ).carMake;
    or
    cout << (carsPtr + 1)->carMake;

dunno which is prefered though... it's been way too long since I coded anything on a regular basis.

• anthonyzzanthonyzz Posts: 1Member
    [link=http://www.keepautomation.com/how_to/visual_cplusplus/]C++[/link] is a programming language that is general purpose, statically typed, free-form, multi-paradigm and compiled. It is regarded as an intermediate-level language, as it comprises both high-level and low-level language features.[3] Developed by Bjarne Stroustrup starting in 1979 at Bell Labs, C++ was originally named C with Classes, adding object oriented features, such as classes, and other enhancements to the C programming language. The language was renamed C++ in 1983,[4] as a pun involving the increment operator. C++ is one of the most popular programming languages[5][6] and is implemented on a wide variety of hardware and operating system platforms. As an efficient compiler to native code, its application domains include systems software, application software, device drivers, embedded software, high-performance server and client applications, and entertainment software such as video games.[7] Several groups provide both free and proprietary C++ compiler software, including the GNU Project, LLVM, Microsoft and Intel. C++ has greatly influenced many other popular programming languages, most notably C#[2] and Java. Of course, follow the guide, you can find more information about c++,
    hope my reply is helpful, good luck.