Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

compareTo help

vstarvstar Posts: 8Member
I am new to java and need help with CompareTo. I've created a class of object called planet, each planet has 4 variables: Distance from sun, radius, mass, and number of moons.

How do I make it so that when I say Jupiter.compareTo(Saturn) It tells me which one has the larger radius, as opposed to comparing any of the other variables.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• silveredge52silveredge52 Posts: 198Member
    Hey,
    You write a compareTo() method in the planet class. That method has an argument of a planet object. That method will compare the variable this.radius with the method argument's radius and return a value, often an int, that describes the relationship.
    Typical return values:
    The value 0 if this Planet's radius is equal to the argument Planet's radius; a value less than 0 if this Planet's radius is numerically less than the argument Planet's radius; and a value greater than 0 if this Planet's radius is numerically greater than the argument Planet's radius.

regards, se52