Building a list to average - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Building a list to average

Hi all,

I need to read in 10 2-digit numbers from the user and then output the numbers along with the average.

I am able to read in the numbers one by one, the problem is I have no idea how to build a list to hold all of the 10 digits in one spot.

I am still very new and I do not understand a lot of things so everytime I read in from the user, the digit is placed into what I called 'buffer' and I defined this in the .bss section as:

buffer resb 1

after that I am trying to build a list with these numbers so I am trying to do:

mov [list+esi], buffer

where I defined list in .bss as

list resb 10

and I keep getting the error: operation size not specified at the line "mov [list+esi], buffer"

I am really lost as to how to build this list and also the sizes that I am supposed to be specifying and indexing by. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

[code]segment .data
msg db 'Enter a digit from 10 to 99: #'
len equ $-msg

segment .bss
buffer: resb 1
list: resb 10
segment .text
global _start
_start:
mov esi, 0
mov ecx, 10

read: mov eax, 4
mov ebx, 1
mov edi, ecx
mov ecx, msg
mov edx, len
int 0x80

mov eax, 3
mov ebx, 0
mov ecx, buffer
int 0x80
mov [list+esi], buffer <-- Error
add edi, 1
mov ecx, edi
loop read

mov eax, 4
mov ecx, 1
mov ecx, list
mov edx, 20
int 0x80

exit: mov eax, 1
int 0x80
[/code]

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    [color=Blue]I think the problem may be in the CPU inability to move memory to another memory in one instruction - you need to use TWO instructions: 1st: move buffer into a register and then move that register into other memory - your list declared with 'resb 10':[/color]
    [code]
    mov al, buffer
    mov [ebx+esi], al
    [/code]
    [color=Blue]I assume that 'resb' means REServe Byte. So, all your numbers are bytes. When you need an average - you need to add 10 numbers. This SUM can easily overflow a BYTE (which can hold max value of 255). So, when you adding the numbers you need to use a bigger register, like EAX, but then to load BYTE into EAX you need to use MOVZX instruction, something like this:[/color]
    [code]movzx eax, byte ptr [ebx+esi][/code]
  • kazo0kazo0 Posts: 2Member
    Thanks for the help! I don't get the error anymore but when I try and print out my list, nothing is being printed.

[code]
    mov ebp, buffer
    mov [list+esi], ebp
    add esi, 1
    mov ecx, edi
    loop read

mov eax, 4
    mov ecx, 1
    mov ecx, list
    mov edx, 20
    int 0x80

exit: mov eax, 1
    int 0x80
    [/code]

I tried just printing out one part of the list such as [list] but nothing is printing out.