Basic is a great language. - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Basic is a great language.

GWS01GWS01 Posts: 10Member
Those folk who look in here who use Basic for their applications, already know what a superb language it is.

The folk who haven't tried it, don't know what they're missing.

The language you choose is a life changing thing. It is the means by which you make a living maybe, or just express yourself by programming for fun.

Basic is great for hobby programmers - but can be equally useful for technical and commercial applications.

I've used Fortran, Algol, Delphi, and various dialects of Basic.

I even got paid once for an educational program I did in Visual Basic 5 - but that's unusual.

For more years than I care to think about, I made my living from Fortran. A good language, but compared to Basic, completely useless as far as user interface and graphics goes.

I'm convinced in my later years, that Basic is the winner - and I might just try to prove it ..

best wishes,

Graham

Comments

• alexsmth114alexsmth114 Posts: 7Member
    One of the best computer languages of all time!!..
  • GWS01GWS01 Posts: 10Member
    Ooh ! another Basic user .. :-)

Nice to meet you Alex.

Graham
  • vmars316vmars316 Posts: 2Member
    How true:
    I program in HotBasic.
    Which Basic are you folks using?
    Thanks...vmars316

PS: In these phForums, is there a way to get 'instant email notication'?..ta
  • GWS01GWS01 Posts: 10Member
    Hi vmars,

I've not tried HotBasic, but the syntax looks a bit clumsy.

It also seems to use dialog windows instead of just normal windows, and I can't see any signs of 2D and 3D graphics facilities.

Still it might be OK when you get used to it - people's preferences vary a lot.

I use a pair of related languages which have been in use for 10 years, so they're well tested. The smaller version Creative Basic, is good for development, using the 'edit-run-edit' method of an interpreter, which also produces .exe files. This has excellent debugging facilities.

The other version is a professional standard compiler called IWBasic.

Both have 2D and 3D graphics facilities, as well as multimedia and database facilities.

You can check them out at http://www.ionicwind.com/

Best wishes,

Graham

• jerlin09jerlin09 Posts: 2Member
    The other version is a professional standard compiler called IWBasic.

[url=http://www.labortimetracker.com/]labor time management[/url]
  • lawmaker121lawmaker121 Posts: 12Member
    Basic is the base for today's languages.