Case Conversion

I'm trying to run a program that switches capital letters to lowercase and vice versa. So "ABcDefG" would output "abCdEFg". This is my code:

String str = "UPPER lower";
int counter;
char ch;

for(counter = 0; counter < str.length(); counter++)
{
if(Character.isLowerCase(str.charAt(counter)))
{
ch = Character.toUpperCase(str.charAt(counter));
str = str.replace(str.charAt(counter), ch);
}

else
{
ch = Character.toLowerCase(str.charAt(counter));
str = str.replace(str.charAt(counter), ch);
}

}

System.out.println(str);

I want the output to be "upper LOWER". Instead I get "uPPER LOWER". I'm new to this but I can't figure out why this won't work. I've also tried if(str.charAt(counter) >= 'A' && str.charAt(counter) <= 'Z'), but I get the same result.

If someone can explain to me what I clearly don't understand about char/string or if/else or for loops, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks you very much.

Comments

• Sike,
    You were on the right track with looping, but used a String method, [link=jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Java/api%20docs/jdk-6u10-docs.zip!/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#replace%28char,%20char%29]replace()[/link], that doesn't do what you need it to do.
    Using a [link=http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/StringBuilder.html]StringBuilder[/link] rather than a String and the setCharAt() will get the job done.
    [code]public class CaseConversion {

public static void main(String[] args) {
    StringBuilder str = new StringBuilder("UPPER lower");
    int counter;
    char ch;
    for (counter = 0; counter < str.length(); counter++) {
    if (Character.isLowerCase(str.charAt(counter))) {
    ch = Character.toUpperCase(str.charAt(counter));
    str.setCharAt((counter), ch);
    } else {
    ch = Character.toLowerCase(str.charAt(counter));
    str.setCharAt((counter), ch);
    }

}

System.out.println(str);
    }
    }[/code]
    regards, se52
  • Wow, thank you very much, se52. This is exactly what I was looking for. I had seen StringBuilder on some other Java sites but I couldn't figure out how to use it. I also clearly misunderstood the purpose of replace. Thanks again. This was incredibly helpful.
  • This post has been deleted.