D3D or OpenGL? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

D3D or OpenGL?

portem1portem1 Posts: 2Member
Hello. Wich one is better for newbie D3D or OpenGL to create 3D graphics? I'm looking forward to create a tiny game.

Comments

• nebgastnebgast Posts: 54Member
    In my opinion DirectX would be better for a newer graphics programmer because of the following reasons:

1) Not an open source API, which means that documentation is held to a higher standard and usually for the most part explained better.

2) DirectX has a bunch of samples and tutorials included in the SDK so you at least have a starting point.

3) You'll have a lot easier time finding help for DirectX because there are more groups dedicated to using it over openGL.

4) Since it's Microsoft created anything Microsoft is guaranteed to work with it. This includes things like XNA, COM, .NET.

5) DirectX has managed updates where as OpenGL is bound to change overnight and become broken.

... My list could go on, but I think you get my drift. =D