need Help designing a hobby project that uses a RTOS - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

need Help designing a hobby project that uses a RTOS

Hi everybody,

this is a kind of backward question, but I am learning RTOS, and I need to come up with a hobby project that uses a RTOS. I am looking at programming in C using a RTOS in an embedded system.

key requirements for my hobby project:

1. use many RTOS features.
2. easy to build
3. consists of parts that are available to buy as a consumer
4. somehow fun

1: Hard real time, concurrent Tasks, mutex, etc.
2: Some electronics and soldering I can do, but not too complicated. Using molds and heavy machinery is too complicated.
3: Ordering components from specialized shops is OK, but custom made things are not. I would start up with some microprocessor developing board and some cheap sensors and perhaps some electrical motors.
4: Well, this is up to everyones taste, but something that moves is usually more fun.

What I can come up with off hand,

Some kind of elevator system with inputs/button on each floor. Some kind of algorithm for moving the elevator and delivering items. (small scale elevator system of course)

Building a robot arm of some sort with sensor inputs. Algorithm for some kind of AI depending on sensory input.

any comments? I know I need to do electronics & mechanics, but I want that part to be as small as possible. The major work should be on RTOS programming in C on an embedded system.

thanks!