Recursion is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Recursion is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joker2ujoker2u Posts: 5Member
I am trying to learn recursion right now and I am having a very difficult time...

I am trying to multiply 2 integers recursively.

This code works as long as int y doesn't exceed 6202, otherwise I am getting a stack overflow error.

public static int multiply(int x, int y){
int result = 0;
if(x == 0 || y == 0){
result = 0;
}
else if(x == 1){
result = y;
}
else if(y == 1){
result = x;
}
else{
result = x + multiply(x, y - 1);
}
return result;
}

I am trying to write a method that uses the modular (%) function to break down x and y into their individual numbers i.e.
startMod = 10;
X863
----
3 * (7 * (startMod / 10) +
3 * (6 * (startMod) +
3 * (5 * (startMod) +
6 * (startMod) ( 7 * (startMod / 10)) +
6 * (startMod) ( 6 * (startMod)) +
6 * (startMod) ( 5 * (startMod)) +
8 * (startMod * 10) ( 7 * (startMod / 10)) +
8 * (startMod * 10) ( 6 * (startMod)) +
8 * (startMod * 10) ( 5 * (startMod)) == 567 * 863

This would be the recursion part of it I assume but I have worked on this for about 12 hours and can't seem to code anything that works.

It is essentially elementary multiplication.
X27
---
7 * 4 + 7 * 50 + 20 * 4 + 20 * 50 == 54 * 27

Any amount of help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Joker2u

Comments

• incodedincoded Posts: 1Member
    [link=http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~vernon/cs367/notes/6.RECURSION.html]][/link] is a decent site to look over and it is in Java. Recursion means that you have a base case/a way to exit, usually in an if statement to check to see if the program needs to go any farther. Then inside the method, you make a call to that method. Such as:

[code]int factorial (int N) {
    if (N == 0) return 1; //base case
    else return (N*factorial(N-1));//recursion call[/code]

This calls the function "recursively" and where N,(N - 1) for 1 less call the next time factorial is called. So each time the method is called by itself, it subtracts 1 getting closer to what the function is trying to do/find.(respectively) Give this site a "once-over" and see if it makes more sense. Hope I have shed some light.