I would greatly appreciate any help with my Programming project - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I would greatly appreciate any help with my Programming project

StevesyStevesy Posts: 3Member
http://cs.utsa.edu/~cs1713/projects/project2Fall10.pdf

That is my project that I've just started. I would like to thank anyone in advance for any help.

I'm still on part 1 right now. my first question is about the Vehicle class. I'm supposed to include the method [b]public abstract String getType();[/b]
--since it's an abstract method, the Vehicle class would have to abstract itself, correct? if the Vehicle class is abstract, then how can I instantiate Vehicle object in the VehicleTester class? I thought you were allowed to instantiate objects from abstract classes, yet the instructions include "[italic]test the Vehicle and Car classes by constructing several instances of
vehicles and cars, and printing enough information to test the accessor and toString
methods of these classes."[/italic]

My second question is about the method [b]public int compareMakeTo(Vehicle other)[/b] which compares two vehicles on the alphabetic order of their makes. I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to compare the strings. right now i return [italic]getMake().compareTo(other.getMake());[/italic], though I really don't know if that's right...

Again, thanks for any help. I might have a few more questions in the future.

Comments

• exile_acexile_ac Posts: 7Member
    Straight from java's website: If a class includes abstract methods, the class itself must be declared abstract, as in:
    [code]
    public abstract class GraphicObject {
    // declare fields
    // declare non-abstract methods
    abstract void draw();
    }[/code]

Since the vehicle class is abstract, when creating a new vehicle simply extend the new vehicle class as an vehicle, ex:
    [code]
    public class Toyota extends Vehicle
    {
    ...code
    }[/code]
    In your testing code you wouldnt instantiate the vehicle class directly, you would instantiate toyota, honda, etc.

Now as for the compare method you could do something like:
    [code]
    public bool compareMake(Vehicle make)
    {
    //assuming getMake() returns a string value
    if(this.getMake().equals(make.getMake())
    return true;
    else
    return false;
    }[/code]
  • StevesyStevesy Posts: 3Member
    Thank you fine sir!