help choosing a language - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

help choosing a language

I use several Linux flavors and know bash and html. What I am looking for is a general purpose language. Something with a gentle learning curve would be preferred. I have read about python and perl, but the words they use to describe them don't really mean a lot to me. I would greatly appreciate it if you would suggest a language and describe what it can do or why it is good in terms I can understand. Thanks.

Comments

• Josh CodeJosh Code Posts: 675Member
    Learn c.

Lots of tutorials are available to help with the initial part of the learning curve.

It works in every platform there are compilers for.

It is a general purpose language with the power to do everything a scripting language like Python and Perl can do and much more.

It is far more efficient, using less memory and far less processing resources/time to execute than scripting languages like Python and Perl.

c is basically an ancestor to many modern programming languages which makes learning it a great first step to learning many other languages in popular use today.

• philipk88philipk88 Posts: 3Member
    Thank you, I will try it.
  • bragrbragr Posts: 5Member
    I would recommend c++, it will still teach you the c side of things, and still let you do system programing in linux, but you will also have the object oriented features to use, which I find to be helpful and easier to use for general purpose programming.
  • harryqharryq Posts: 3Member
    Like said before, look at C++ in the first place. It is a lot bigger than C in terms of keywords, libraries etc. But start learn the basics. Why? C is not much like its successors, such as (c++), java, c# etc. Its a different paradigm. Many things in system programming anyway is text-processing, which perl and python do really well. C++ makes text processing easier while still features "backward compabilty" to c.
  • Temo0DiazTemo0Diaz Posts: 1Member
    Try with Java

it's multiplataform, it's easy and powerfull