sms-ing.. how to code?

hi.. i wanted to write alittle program to send sms' to GSM handsets

can someone point me in the right direction?

are there any web pages out there that talk about the protocol or??

please help.. :)

i can code in c, c++ and java..

thanx :)

Comments

• : hi.. i wanted to write alittle program to send sms' to GSM handsets

: can someone point me in the right direction?

: are there any web pages out there that talk about the protocol or??

: please help.. :)

: i can code in c, c++ and java..

: thanx :)

:

:

Go through the details of Push Technology that can be used to send such messages. But before that probably we need a SMSC and a SMS gateway to get the process done. No SMS is directly sent to the recipient, it has got to go to SMSCenter from where it is routed to the address specified, be it email address or a phone no. Infact thing is something like this that for SMS purpose, each of the mobile phone is also associated with an email address.

So even if we write a code that is limited to sending it to the SMSC, we can't go any further. And if we have to go any further we need a SMSC and SMS Gateway of our own.

By the way, can you just tell what your application is? is that sending push messages or something else? May be if you can be more specific in the doubt, this would help!

with regards

avi

URL:http://www.mobilefrontline.com/sms/homepage.asp

• : hi.. i wanted to write alittle program to send sms' to GSM handsets

: can someone point me in the right direction?

: are there any web pages out there that talk about the protocol or??

: please help.. :)

: i can code in c, c++ and java..

: thanx :)

:

:

Go through the details of Push Technology that can be used to send such messages. But before that probably we need a SMSC and a SMS gateway to get the process done. No SMS is directly sent to the recipient, it has got to go to SMSCenter from where it is routed to the address specified, be it email address or a phone no. Infact thing is something like this that for SMS purpose, each of the mobile phone is also associated with an email address.

So even if we write a code, it is limited to sending it to the SMSC, we can't go any further. And if we have to go any further we need a SMSC and SMS Gateway of our own.

By the way, can you just tell what your application is? is that sending push messages or something else? May be if you can be more specific in the doubt, this would help!

with regards

avi

URL:http://www.mobilefrontline.com/sms/homepage.asp

• : : hi.. i wanted to write alittle program to send sms' to GSM handsets
    : : can someone point me in the right direction?
    : : are there any web pages out there that talk about the protocol or??
    : : please help.. :)
    : : i can code in c, c++ and java..
    : : thanx :)
    : :
    : Go through the details of Push Technology that can be used to send such messages. But before that probably we need a SMSC and a SMS gateway to get the process done. No SMS is directly sent to the recipient, it has got to go to SMSCenter from where it is routed to the address specified, be it email address or a phone no. Infact thing is something like this that for SMS purpose, each of the mobile phone is also associated with an email address.
    : So even if we write a code, it is limited to sending it to the SMSC, we can't go any further. And if we have to go any further we need a SMSC and SMS Gateway of our own.
    :
    : By the way, can you just tell what your application is? is that sending push messages or something else? May be if you can be more specific in the doubt, this would help!
    :
    : with regards
    : avi
    :
    :
    Can you please tell more about SMS Center and SMS Gateway?

• : : hi.. i wanted to write alittle program to send sms' to GSM handsets
    : : can someone point me in the right direction?
    : : are there any web pages out there that talk about the protocol or??
    : : please help.. :)
    : : i can code in c, c++ and java..
    : : thanx :)
    : Go through the details of Push Technology that can be used to send such messages. But before that probably we need a SMSC and a SMS gateway to get the process done. No SMS is directly sent to the recipient, it has got to go to SMSCenter from where it is routed to the address specified, be it email address or a phone no. Infact thing is something like this that for SMS purpose, each of the mobile phone is also associated with an email address.
    : So even if we write a code, it is limited to sending it to the SMSC, we can't go any further. And if we have to go any further we need a SMSC and SMS Gateway of our own.
    :
    : By the way, can you just tell what your application is? is that sending push messages or something else? May be if you can be more specific in the doubt, this would help!
    :
    : with regards
    : avi
    :
    :

Hello. I just got the latest info about SMS. We need to depend on a telco to provide us with the network/gateway and also a API specifications. By then, you can start program about it.

• : : : hi.. i wanted to write alittle program to send sms' to GSM handsets
    : : : can someone point me in the right direction?
    : : : are there any web pages out there that talk about the protocol or??
    : : : please help.. :)
    : : : i can code in c, c++ and java..
    : : : thanx :)
    : : :

There are few open source sms libraries out there like gnokii and gammu.
    With it, you can control your GSM modem/handsets to send sms.
    Try to visit www.fillyourtime.blogspot.com. It provides guide for beginner to build a simple SMS gateway using Gammu.

Hope that helps.
  • : : : hi.. i wanted to write alittle program to send sms' to GSM handsets
    : : : can someone point me in the right direction?
    : : : are there any web pages out there that talk about the protocol or??
    : : : please help.. :)
    : : : i can code in c, c++ and java..
    : : : thanx :)
    : : :

There are few open source sms libraries out there like gnokii and gammu.
    With it, you can control your GSM modem/handsets to send sms.
    Try to visit this link

http://fillyourtime.blogspot.com/2008/12/sending-sms-from-pc.html

It provides guide for beginner to build a simple SMS gateway using Gammu.

Hope that helps.
  • Let me try and answer your questions.

Do you need to receive SMS? If you need to receive SMS, you will need to host your own GSM device or modem so that people can send you SMS.

If not, you can just use internet SMS gateways like clickatell to do the work, and post to them by HTTP, XML or email. The cost is about 6-8 cents per SMS. There are cheaper services, but not always reliable. If you need to host your own GSM device, you can use software like http://www.kannel.org (GPL Open Source) or http://visualtron.com/enterprise/sms-gateway.

Regards.