Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I seem to be missing a crucial piece here.

kratosaurion7kratosaurion7 Posts: 3Member
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I've started python a few days ago and having programmed in VB for a couple years I'm fooled by this new language. There are a couple of concepts that I may be missing. I'm reading "A Byte of Python" which is a very good book, but I don't know why the author did not answer those questions in his book.

1) When I declare a variable in the global field (which I apparently HAVE to give it a value, even if I am only going to decide what value to assign later in the program) and when I modify it from a function it stays the same. Here is an example:
[code]
name = "" #The variable that I want to use later

def getUsrName():

name = raw_input("Please enter your name.
Choice: ") #This is where I assign it a value, but it doesn't modify the global one. Instead working on its own copy.

greetUsr(name) #The workaround I found is to link functions with functions, instead of going through each one in the global field.
[/code]

Also, is it possible to declare a variable but not give it a value ? Because if the user chooses the value of the variable I have to do Value = raw_input("Choose a value") at the declaration time, which is inconvenient.

Any way around those problems?

* I call "Global Field" the place that the code is resting outside every function. I don't know the proper name for this yet :(

Comments