Program using integers from 1 to 25.

I have to do a program onj Visual Basic Express 2005 with these following instructions:

Write a function square() that will take an integer and return its square, and a function cube() that will take an integer and return its cube. Use your square() and cube() functions to write the functions quartic() and quintic() that return the fourth and fifth power of an integer respectively. Use your functions to write a program that prints a table of powers of integers from 1 to 25. The output of your program should look like this:
INTEGER:
3 etc.
SQUARE:
9 etc.
CUBE:
27 etc
QUARTIC:
81 etc
QUINTIC:
243 etc

Do not use any Math. functions - multiplication only.

I need help to do this i dont really get what it is asking hope someone can help me. Thanks.

Comments

• seancampbellseancampbell Pennsylvania, USA
    I can see you are taking a programming class. If you are hoping to be a computer programmer one day, you'll probably want to solve this on your own or you'll never learn. Programming is 75% problem solving and 25% coding. The idea is to know what tools you have available and what you do to use them, and relate that knowledge to solving situations, which always starts a a concept in your head formed after being presented with a problem....

Here is some help I'm willing to offer you:

[italic]Write a function square() that will take an integer and return its square, and a function cube() that will take an integer and return its cube. Use your square() and cube() functions to write the functions quartic() and quintic() that return the fourth and fifth power of an integer respectively. Use your functions to write a program that prints a table of powers of integers from 1 to 25. The output of your program should look like this:[/italic]

[code]
    Write 4 functions:
    Square(Integer) As Integer
    Cube(Integer) As Integer
    Quartic(Integer) As Integer
    Quintic(Integer) As Integer

Write a program that:
    Loops from 1 to 25 and evaluates the LoopCounter being sent to those functions
    *Since the output should be a list of Squares, then a list of Cubes, Etc,
    *you should run 4 loops that do the output of each function from
    *1 to 25
    [/code]

[code]
    'Example of a function that returns an integer sent to it * 2.
    Public Function TimesTwo(ByVal X as Integer) as Integer
    Return X*2
    End Function

'Example of using this function in a Loop on a Button Click
    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    Debug.WriteLine("Times Two!") 'display in the output window of the IDE
    Dim i As Integer = 0
    For i = 1 to 25
    'You could assign it to a new variable
    'Dim Answer as Integer = TimesTwo(i)
    'Debug.WriteLine(Answer)
    'But why write two lines, when we can write 1?
    Debug.WriteLine(TimesTwo(i))
    Next i
    End Sub
    [/code]

Good luck,
    Sean Campbell - Firesickle.com