Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

first post, couple of newb questions, looking for direction

Hey guys and gals, i'm new to programming and would like to start learning a few things so I think I have come to the right place!

I have a project I am working on and need a few direction pointers,

first off i have installed IDA pro free on my computer and have been able to disassemble my exe file and am slowly going through the code using the debugger and think I have found the areas I wish to modify the code a bit to get rid of a memory check,

my first question is this, I thought I would be able to change the coding in the IDA software but it seems not. Where do i go from here? do I output a .asm file and edit it there?

The second question falls directly on the first, If i have an .asm file and modify it what do I use to compile it back to an exe file?

I thought at first I could do all of this in IDA but maybe not in the free software? Sorry for the newb questions, but I really want to learn this stuff and have found alot of options searching google but some seem redundant, and I wish to have as little steps possible and dont want to install programs I dont need.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• anthrax11anthrax11 Posts: 511Member
    [link=http://www.ollydbg.de/]OllyDbg[/link] can be used to modify executable code directly, although not very conveniently.

However, I wouldn't recommend to start learning assembly this way, unless all you really want to do is modify some closed-source program quickly. It's better to start by making you own simple programs (Hello world!) and then gradually moving on to the harder stuff. That way you'll get a solid understanding of the basics and you'll feel much more comfortable with the debugger later on. It's up to you though.

If you have an .asm file and want to assemble it, you'll have to find the appropriate assembler for the code. That might be Fasm, Masm, Nasm, GAS, Tasm or something else. I don't know which IDA uses. Note that in some cases it's not possible to assemble .asm files from disassembled executables, because not all of the information (resources, tricky code paths) can be recovered from the executable into source form.

I hope this helps.