General questions - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

General questions

RoanneeeeRoanneeee Posts: 2Member
Hey all, I know most answers I can ask for here here can probably found on Google or something, but I tend to remember things better if I'm answered directly and also Pascal seems to be buried deep in the internet.

Firstly, does anyone know of any up to date books for Pascal and possibly Delphi as well? I'm having trouble finding anything which wasn't wrote in the 90s, I know most of it still works but a lot of it just seems to be way too silly in the way they're laid out which doesn't seem to be a problem with most modern programming books, internet tutorials also would help.

Also, I was thinking about how confused I often get when writing even really simple programs, especially if I leave them for a while, does anyone know of a program which you can set out how you're going to code something before? Like a sort of flowchart program based on pseudo-code?

Thanks all.

Comments

• _Atex__Atex_ Posts: 163Member
    : Firstly, does anyone know of any up to date books for Pascal and
    : possibly Delphi as well? I'm having trouble finding anything which
    : wasn't wrote in the 90s, I know most of it still works but a lot of it
    : just seems to be way too silly in the way they're laid out which
    : doesn't seem to be a problem with most modern programming books,
    : internet tutorials also would help.

There are lots of tutorials online if you look for them, as for books I saw a few Pascal related books published post 2000. IMO is nothing wrong with the 90's books or even with earlier ones. I personally wouldn't invest in a book when so much info can be found online. Best is to experiment yourself with the source codes to see how things are done.

: Also, I was thinking about how confused I often get when writing
    : even really simple programs, especially if I leave them for a
    : while, does anyone know of a program which you can set out how
    : you're going to code something before? Like a sort of flowchart
    : program based on pseudo-code?

Try to comment your code as best as you can, it's easier to remember where you left off... It's always good idea to sketch a flowchart before you start coding, specially when you try something more complicated, it also helps in the optimizing process. Also try to break down your code into smaller parts ( procedures and functions, even multiple files ) instead of having one big continuous block. Keep a piece of paper and pencil handy...