Turbo 4.0 - Stack Overflow - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Turbo 4.0 - Stack Overflow

TheKingfishTheKingfish Posts: 15Member
I

Comments

• _Atex__Atex_ Posts: 163Member
    : I
  • TheKingfishTheKingfish Posts: 15Member
    Thanks for your feedback; it was both instructive and helpful. My first pursuit will be to delve into my code and optimize the recursion as you suggested. This will put my existing algorithm into a more efficient state. My second pursuit will be to pursue the upgrade you recommended. I am eager to do that.

I have stayed with TP 4.0 over these many years largely out of convenience. I am not a professional; more a hobbyist. As such it was easy to put on the blinders to various upgrades and just hunker down with my programming. Everything worked fine, though occasionally I would need to expand my variable declarations to avoid capacity issues in the face of steadily growing data files. Seeing a remedy to that self-debilitating routine, I was particularly encouraged by your advice to upgrade to Free Pascal, where within Windows
    A short follow up, prompted by further research into FP. While I am attracted to the memory boost offered by FP, its size (35MB) is dramatically more than the preceding TP compilers 5.5-7.0 (all less than 2MB). While 35MB is hardly a large amount these days, the huge difference makes me curious/wary. Do you or anyone know why this is so? As always, much thanks.
  • _Atex__Atex_ Posts: 163Member
    : A short follow up, prompted by further research into FP. While I am
    : attracted to the memory boost offered by FP, its size (35MB) is
    : dramatically more than the preceding TP compilers 5.5-7.0 (all less
    : than 2MB). While 35MB is hardly a large amount these days, the huge
    : difference makes me curious/wary. Do you or anyone know why this is
    : so?
    :

Don't be deterred from FP's size (my setup is over 256MB), you'll get everything (IDE, Compiler, Debugger, Libraries, Sources etc.) and is a huge step up from TP... Beside, these days optimizing for size seems to become obsolete. :-) I'm not sure about TP4 code, but FP will compile TP5.5+ code without modification (there are a few exceptions, described in FP's help), just add this as first line: [b]{$mode tp}[/b]
    Stated earlier as my first pursuit, I have examined my code. Actually, taking up your suggestion, I re-familiarized myself with the term