Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Turbo 4.0 - Stack Overflow

TheKingfishTheKingfish Posts: 15Member
I

Comments

• _Atex__Atex_ Posts: 163Member
  • TheKingfishTheKingfish Posts: 15Member
    Thanks for your feedback; it was both instructive and helpful. My first pursuit will be to delve into my code and optimize the recursion as you suggested. This will put my existing algorithm into a more efficient state. My second pursuit will be to pursue the upgrade you recommended. I am eager to do that.

I have stayed with TP 4.0 over these many years largely out of convenience. I am not a professional; more a hobbyist. As such it was easy to put on the blinders to various upgrades and just hunker down with my programming. Everything worked fine, though occasionally I would need to expand my variable declarations to avoid capacity issues in the face of steadily growing data files. Seeing a remedy to that self-debilitating routine, I was particularly encouraged by your advice to upgrade to Free Pascal, where within Windows
    A short follow up, prompted by further research into FP. While I am attracted to the memory boost offered by FP, its size (35MB) is dramatically more than the preceding TP compilers 5.5-7.0 (all less than 2MB). While 35MB is hardly a large amount these days, the huge difference makes me curious/wary. Do you or anyone know why this is so? As always, much thanks.
  • _Atex__Atex_ Posts: 163Member
    : A short follow up, prompted by further research into FP. While I am
    : attracted to the memory boost offered by FP, its size (35MB) is
    : dramatically more than the preceding TP compilers 5.5-7.0 (all less
    : than 2MB). While 35MB is hardly a large amount these days, the huge
    : difference makes me curious/wary. Do you or anyone know why this is
    : so?
    :

Don't be deterred from FP's size (my setup is over 256MB), you'll get everything (IDE, Compiler, Debugger, Libraries, Sources etc.) and is a huge step up from TP... Beside, these days optimizing for size seems to become obsolete. :-) I'm not sure about TP4 code, but FP will compile TP5.5+ code without modification (there are a few exceptions, described in FP's help), just add this as first line: [b]{$mode tp}[/b]
    Stated earlier as my first pursuit, I have examined my code. Actually, taking up your suggestion, I re-familiarized myself with the term